Phoebe 10/100 Fast Ethernet card

  • rawnerve@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 1999
      Using RedHat 5.2 Server installation

      I have the Phoebe 10/100 net card, It comes with
      linux drivers which i tried to install how the
      text says but it would not work, after many hours
      (My 1st attempt at linux - but hey i lov it already)
      anyway... i got it to load the driver module manually
      but still cannot run the netcfg in redhat without
      getting these errors...

      File "/usr/lib/rhs/netcfg/netcfg.py", line 24, in ?
      from rhtkinter import *
      File "/usr/lib/rhs/python/rhtkinter.py", line 52, in ?
      e = Entry()
      File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1288 in __init__
      Widget.__init__(self, master, 'entry', cnf, kw)
      File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1042 in __init__
      BaseWidget._setup(self, master, cnf)
      File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1017 in __setup
      _default_root = Tk()
      File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1288 in __init__
      self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
      TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

      Any ideas?
    • John O'Donnell,x3033
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 9:40 AM
        > From: rawnerve@... (Mark Cook)
        >
        > Using RedHat 5.2 Server installation
        >
        > I have the Phoebe 10/100 net card, It comes with
        > linux drivers which i tried to install how the
        > text says but it would not work, after many hours
        > (My 1st attempt at linux - but hey i lov it already)
        > anyway... i got it to load the driver module manually
        > but still cannot run the netcfg in redhat without
        > getting these errors...
        >
        > File "/usr/lib/rhs/netcfg/netcfg.py", line 24, in ?
        > from rhtkinter import *
        > File "/usr/lib/rhs/python/rhtkinter.py", line 52, in ?
        > e = Entry()
        > File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1288 in __init__
        > Widget.__init__(self, master, 'entry', cnf, kw)
        > File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1042 in __init__
        > BaseWidget._setup(self, master, cnf)
        > File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1017 in __setup
        > _default_root = Tk()
        > File "/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1288 in __init__
        > self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
        > TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
        >
        > Any ideas?

        Yeah - I know nothing of TCL but how to run it, I know nothing of python,
        I know not of RedHat, but no $DISPLAY?? That is an X error. Are you running
        Xwindows at all? This program looks like it was designed to be a GUI.
        If you are in X, make sure you have a DISPLAY variable set up.
        You can check this by: echo $DISPLAY
        If you get nothing, set this via:
        DISPLAY=[hostname]:0.0
        export DISPLAY

        Hope this helps
        Johnny O

        | University, n.: Like a software house, except the software's free, |
        | and it's usable, and it works, and if it breaks they'll quickly |
        | tell you how to fix it, and ... |
        +==============================+========================================+
        | John O'Donnell (Sr. Systems Engineer, Webmaster, Network Admin, etc.) |
        | Voice FX Corporation | Phone: (610)941-1000 |
        | 1100 E. Hector Street | Fax: (610)941-9844 |
        | Suite 416 | E-Mail: johnod@... |
        | Conshohocken, PA 19428 | www.voicefx.com |
        | | www.campusdirect.com |
      • rawnerve@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 10:23 AM
          I was and still able to use X with no problems... even installed kde from
          the cd without problems... but i have not been working from inside X. this
          error only pops up when running the netcfg to configure the network
          settings... Just tried what you suggested and echo $DISPLAY came up dry,
          and i set it and ran netcfg with the same results, Thanks for the info!