Re: COMEDY RELIEF: - WAS:Re: [linux] New Member and Newbie Question

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2001
      At 19:38 2001/02/01 -0800, you wrote:

      >here is one for the list of screwups.
      >
      >and i dont realise that i forgot the "| grep aspell" untill
      >i have lost every file in /root /dev /var /BACKUP and some in
      >/usr.

      You're all amateurs. I still take pride in deleting 5 partitions with
      4 O/S 's with an inept first attempt at disk druid

      Proudly incompetant
      Scott
    • darryl
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2001
        While we are on the subject , I deleted / out one day with star office,
        ooooooooooooo about 1 to 1 and a bit years ago . These days any trashing is
        deliberate :)

        Darryl
      • Robin Turner
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2001
          Scott wrote:

          > At 19:38 2001/02/01 -0800, you wrote:
          >
          > >here is one for the list of screwups.
          > >
          > >and i dont realise that i forgot the "| grep aspell" untill
          > >i have lost every file in /root /dev /var /BACKUP and some in
          > >/usr.
          >
          > You're all amateurs. I still take pride in deleting 5 partitions with
          > 4 O/S 's with an inept first attempt at disk druid

          Pretty impressive. I once backed up /home onto a separate partition so
          I could format my main ext2 partition, then formatted both partitions.

          Robin
        • Tim Fairchild
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2001
            On Friday 02 February 2001 23:54, you wrote:

            > Pretty impressive. I once backed up /home onto a separate partition so
            > I could format my main ext2 partition, then formatted both partitions.

            Well I just spent a while bashing my head against the wall trying to copy a
            simple file... talk about stoopid.

            I'd do ls a* and it would show amp.c was there

            so I'd go cp apm.c /blah/blah/moreblah and it'd tell me the file didn't
            exist. Then sometimes it would list and not others...

            So I'm umounting drives and doing a fsck... til I realize I'm typing apm.c
            instead of amp.c

            Tooooo tired me thinks...

            tim

            Tim & Therese Fairchild
            Atchafalaya Border Collies.
            Kuttabul, Queensland, Australia.
            Email mailto:amosf@...
            Homepage http://members.nbci.com/amosf/bcs
            BCs4me Page http://members.nbci.com/amosf
          • Lewis Bergman
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2001
              On Thu, 01 Feb 2001, you wrote:
              > On Feb 1, Mephis / Sfjay wrote to linux@yahoogroups.com:
              >
              > >ahem.. today after reading the below email... I turned to my server to
              > >try it... and seeing as this was my NT server a couple of days ago, I
              > >was used to going up to it, hitting ALT+CTL+DEL and logging on.. well
              > >imagine my surprise when I turn on the monitor and all I see is linux
              > >rebooting..
              > >DOH.. My first "learn from my mistakes" with linux.
              maybe you should remap ALT+CTRL+DEL to something safer, maybe a little bash
              that aks to confirm
              --
              Lewis Bergman
              Texas Communications
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2001
                > So I'm umounting drives and doing a fsck... til I realize I'm typing apm.c
                > instead of amp.c

                Well, you belong to DNA---Association of National Dyslexics. :)

                On another tech list, we were talking about someone rebooting a server
                remotely--what he didn't know was that someone had left a floppy in the disk
                drive--oops :)