Re: Linux - win95 NETWORK help

  • JoelG
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 27 12:22 AM
      Enter root as the username, and your root password as the password. That
      will probably work. If it is setup as guest access I suggest adding the
      user name and password of the windblows machine to your /etc/passwd
      file, then you will not be confronted by the login box every time you
      try to use the share.

      Donald Lee wrote:

      > From: lee0088@... (Donald Lee)
      >
      > On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:57:57 -0700, "Barney Anda"
      > <barney@...> wrote:
      > > You should read the manual page for smb.conf to see how to set up
      > >directories and printers for sharing.
      >
      > ok, call me names, make fun of me.. I dont care.. I have been at this
      > for several hours reading through the man files and text files faqs..
      > playing around with this smb.conf file till it is probably so hosed up
      > it will never work again... I cant get to the share.. I can see
      > something called Linux in my network neighborhood. I click on it and
      > it puts up a password box. the password I set for the share does not
      > work. I really dont even think that is the password it wants.. is
      > there a password just to access the system? That is what it looks
      > like it wants.

      > Come check out our brand new web site!
      > http://www.onelist.com
      > Onelist: Making the Internet intimate
      > Titanic 12 ... Hindenburg Zeppelin 37 ... Microsoft Windows 98
    • Dilhan Mills
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 28 12:36 PM
        To be able to access a Linux directory from a Win95 computer you will
        need to use a program called samba on your Linux box .........

        dm

        On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Donald Lee wrote:

        > From: lee0088@... (Donald Lee)
        >
        > Ok, just thought I would put this out... I have my Redhat Workstation
        > installed, I can ping the linux box successfully from my Win95 box.
        > How do I map a network drive to my Linux drive and vice-versa? Does
        > anybody know? thanks in advance.

        > Come check out our brand new web site!
        > http://www.onelist.com
        > Onelist: Making the Internet intimate
        > Titanic 12 ... Hindenburg Zeppelin 37 ... Microsoft Windows 98

        *******
        Dilhan Mills
        email => dilhan@...
        JESUS CHRIST IS LORD OF ALL!!!
      • Barney Anda
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 28 2:57 PM
          Try the password for the user who owns what you are trying to connect to on
          the Linux box. For example, if you want your home directory mapped to a
          drive letter on the Windows box, you are going to need to enter your own
          password. You should read the manual page for smb.conf to see how to set up
          directories and printers for sharing.

          As far as connecting to folders on the Windows box from the Linux box, there
          are utilities that come with Samba, like smbmount, smbumount, smbclient,
          etc, that should do the job for you.

          Barney Anda
          mailto:barney@...
          http://freewill.tzo.com/~barney/

          > >To be able to access a Linux directory from a Win95 computer you will
          > >need to use a program called samba on your Linux box .........
          >
          > Yea I have that installed. I have it setup to look in /home/samba and
          > I can see it now in my network neighborhood but I get a pop up box
          > that wants a password to access and I never set a password nor do I
          > know what it could be.. any ideas?
          >
          > I am able to get files from my win95 machine from my linux box
          > though.. so this is progress..

        • Donald Lee
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 28 4:39 PM
            On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:36:07 -0500 (EST), Dilhan Mills
            <da717@...> wrote:

            >From: Dilhan Mills <da717@...>
            >
            >To be able to access a Linux directory from a Win95 computer you will
            >need to use a program called samba on your Linux box .........

            Yea I have that installed. I have it setup to look in /home/samba and
            I can see it now in my network neighborhood but I get a pop up box
            that wants a password to access and I never set a password nor do I
            know what it could be.. any ideas?

            I am able to get files from my win95 machine from my linux box
            though.. so this is progress..

            thanks
          • Donald Lee
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 28 6:22 PM
              <barney@...> wrote:

              >As far as connecting to folders on the Windows box from the Linux box, there
              >are utilities that come with Samba, like smbmount, smbumount, smbclient,
              >etc, that should do the job for you.

              Cool thanks I am making progress this list is great.
            • Barney Anda
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 28 7:24 PM
                I do believe there was one important thing I forgot about. Samba is
                probably expecting plaintext passwords. Importing this registry key
                should do it:

                [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP]
                "EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

                On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Donald Lee wrote:

                > ok, call me names, make fun of me.. I dont care.. I have been at this
                > for several hours reading through the man files and text files faqs..
                > playing around with this smb.conf file till it is probably so hosed up
                > it will never work again... I cant get to the share.. I can see
                > something called Linux in my network neighborhood. I click on it and
                > it puts up a password box. the password I set for the share does not
                > work. I really dont even think that is the password it wants.. is
                > there a password just to access the system? That is what it looks
                > like it wants.
              • Donald Lee
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 28 8:58 PM
                  <barney@...> wrote:
                  > You should read the manual page for smb.conf to see how to set up
                  >directories and printers for sharing.

                  ok, call me names, make fun of me.. I dont care.. I have been at this
                  for several hours reading through the man files and text files faqs..
                  playing around with this smb.conf file till it is probably so hosed up
                  it will never work again... I cant get to the share.. I can see
                  something called Linux in my network neighborhood. I click on it and
                  it puts up a password box. the password I set for the share does not
                  work. I really dont even think that is the password it wants.. is
                  there a password just to access the system? That is what it looks
                  like it wants.
                • Geoff Lane
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 29 12:40 AM
                    Donald Lee wrote:

                    > ok, call me names, make fun of me.. I dont care.. I have been at this
                    > for several hours reading through the man files and text files faqs..
                    > playing around with this smb.conf file till it is probably so hosed up
                    > it will never work again... I cant get to the share.. I can see
                    > something called Linux in my network neighborhood. I click on it and
                    > it puts up a password box. the password I set for the share does not
                    > work. I really dont even think that is the password it wants.. is
                    > there a password just to access the system? That is what it looks
                    > like it wants.

                    ---
                    Hi Donald,

                    You need to either set up Samba for encrypted passwords or set up the Win
                    clients to use plain passwords. For information on either, please refer to
                    ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt, and winNT.txt within the Samba documentation
                    (/usr/doc/<Samba_version>/docs/textdocs).

                    However, I can't set up the smbpasswd file using the 'cat' command given in
                    ENCRYPTION.txt and have had to use the smbpasswd command directly. For
                    example, to add an SMB user, do:
                    smbpasswd -a <user>
                    where <user> is the username that you want to add.

                    HTH,

                    Geoff Lane
                    Cornwall, UK
                    geoff@...
                  • lee0088@xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 29 6:07 PM
                      On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:22:02 -0500, JoelG <joelg@...> wrote:

                      >From: JoelG <joelg@...>
                      >
                      >Enter root as the username, and your root password as the password. That
                      >will probably work. If it is setup as guest access I suggest adding the
                      >user name and password of the windblows machine to your /etc/passwd
                      >file, then you will not be confronted by the login box every time you
                      >try to use the share.

                      THIS IS WHAT I WAS DOING WRONG!!!! HAHAHAHHAHHA I was just trying to
                      use a password at the password box.. it never occurred to me to log
                      on to windows with my linux username and password.. Geeeezzzz..

                      thanks everybody this is great! now I can really play around with
                      this thing!!!
                    • SIMS, Paul, LCTL
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 6, 1999
                        You need to access the samba drives as someone with an account on the linux
                        box. Use encrypted passwords & the program "sambapwd" (or is it sambapasswd
                        ?) to create an encrypted password file than Win95OSR2, Win98 & NT will be
                        happy to use. This stops you having to mess about turning encryption off at
                        the Win end.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 6, 1999
                          > From: "SIMS, Paul, LCTL" <psims@...>
                          >
                          > You need to access the samba drives as someone with an account on
                          > the linux
                          > box. Use encrypted passwords & the program "sambapwd" (or is it
                          > sambapasswd
                          > ?) to create an encrypted password file than Win95OSR2, Win98 & NT will be
                          > happy to use. This stops you having to mess about turning
                          > encryption off at
                          > the Win end.
                          ----
                          Do you mean smbpasswd? You can use this program to create an SMB encrypted
                          passwords file. Just do 'smbpasswd -a <user>' to add a user to the
                          database -- leave out the '-a' option to change an existing user's password.

                          information. Search on the Samba website (http://www.samba.org/) for
                          joining instructions.

                          HTH,

                          Geoff Lane
                          Cornwall, UK
                          geoff@...
                        • SIMS, Paul, LCTL
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 6, 1999
                            That'll be the one - I'm trying to speed-answer 230 mails after a few days
                            off....