Re: [linux] lilo

  • John O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2001
      dim wrote:

      > hi,
      > how can i make lilo display MY message when it starts?
      > Now it just displays
      > ' lilo boot:'
      > thanx in advance,
      > <dim>

      Read The Fine Manual page for lilo.conf

      Excerpt:

      message=message-file
      specifies a file containing a message that is dis-
      played before the boot prompt. No message is dis-
      played while waiting for a shifting key after
      printing "LILO ". In the message, the FF character
      ([Ctrl L]) clears the local screen. The size of the
      message file is limited to 65535 bytes. The map
      file has to be rebuilt if the message file is
      changed or moved.

      --
      <SomeLamer> what's the difference between chattr and chmod?
      <SomeGuru> SomeLamer: man chattr > 1; man chmod > 2; diff -u 1 2 | less
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 6, 2001
        i am using redhat 7.0

        how can i set the LILO to text mode instead of GUI?
      • Shaun ONeil
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 6, 2001
          I think you just need to remove (or comment out) the message=/boot/message
          line in /etc/lilo.conf then run lilo to update the boot bit

          Worked for me

          Shaun

          > how can i set the LILO to text mode instead of GUI?

          > visit www.egroups.com.

        • Brian L. Johnson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6, 2001
            On Jul 6, percydeleon@... threw electrons at
            linux@yahoogroups.com:

            >i am using redhat 7.0
            >how can i set the LILO to text mode instead of GUI?

            In /etc/lilo.conf, find a line like this:

            message=/boot/message

            Remove that line, save the file, and run /sbin/lilo.

            -=Brian L. Johnson, www.blj8.com=-
            8816 links at blj8.com!
            ---------------------------------
            For PGP key email to: pgpkey@...
            For Geekcode email to: geekcode@...
          • Pamela
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 23 6:35 PM
              How do you remove LILO boot loader from an XP Laptop.
              I'm taking it off to make room for my new camcorder software and movies.
              I had used Partion Magic to set up the partions.

              TIA
              Pam

              === Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===

            • Wolf Dreamer
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 23 6:59 PM
                Pamela writes:

                > How do you remove LILO boot loader from an XP Laptop.
                > I'm taking it off to make room for my new camcorder software and movies.
                > I had used Partion Magic to set up the partions.
                >

                > TIA
                > Pam

                visit microsloth

                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q171611/
              • Pamela
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 23 7:03 PM
                  That Microsoft article doesn't apply to XP ... from what I read.

                  Pam

                  > > How do you remove LILO boot loader from an XP Laptop.
                  > > I'm taking it off to make room for my new camcorder software and movies.
                  > > I had used Partion Magic to set up the partions.
                  > >

                  > > TIA
                  > > Pam
                  >
                  > visit microsloth
                  >
                  > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q171611/

                  http://www.yahoogroups.com
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Wolf Dreamer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 23 7:11 PM
                    Pamela writes:

                    > That Microsoft article doesn't apply to XP ... from what I read.
                    >
                    > Pam

                    the mbr is the mbr. did you try lilo -u ?
                    you would probably have more luck on a windows list.
                    or you can try googling. remember "Google is your
                    friend!"
                  • Wolf Dreamer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 23 7:13 PM
                      Pamela writes:

                      > That Microsoft article doesn't apply to XP ... from what I read.
                      >
                      > Pam

                      or you can try "booting from your Windows XP disk and go into the Recovery
                      Console. Run FixMBR and re-boot." took a total of 20 seconds to find with
                      Google.
                    • D.Bailey
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 23 7:14 PM
                        Well try the help with XP and search for fixing MBR ;) and blend the 2
                        together and in theory without reading the article or trying you will have
                        your master boot record back or type it into google repairing XP's MBR

                        /fixmbr from memory is what it is ??

                        Cheers
                        Dazza

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 18, 2004
                          hello

                          hello there i saw your mail now only from yahoo groups and the problem is
                          solved what is the actual solution for the problem.

                          Chat with 1000s of singles.
                          http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74 Let
                          BharatMatrimony.com's Instant Messenger show you how.