Re: [linux] ftp via SSH

  • Ed McMan
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2000
      SSH allows you to forward ports. For example, if you want to redirect port
      21 (securely) to your remote system: ssh -R 21:localhost:21 -l blah
      server.net

      Then ftp to localhost, and upload, and it will go securely to the other ftp
      server.

      > From: "CCForteza" <ccforteza@...>
      > Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 12:53:36 -0800
      > To: <linux@egroups.com>
      > Subject: [linux] ftp via SSH
      >
      > Is there a safer way to transfer file to your server, like ftp through SSH?
      > I'm not sure but I think there is something out there that is available for
      > download? Please advice.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > CCF

    • abdulla
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2000
        I think you are looking for something like sftp. Check
        http://www.xbill.org/sftp/ for more info.

        CCForteza wrote:

        > Is there a safer way to transfer file to your server, like ftp
        through SSH?
        > I'm not sure but I think there is something out there that is
        available for
        > download? Please advice.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > CCF

        > visit www.onelist.com.
      • Charles Sturgeon; Linux Administrator
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2000
          If I am having difficulties FTPing to my Linux server (which has SSH
          installed and running) could this be a possible answer to my problems?

          Thank You,

          C. Michael Sturgeon

          CCForteza wrote:

          > Is there a safer way to transfer file to your server, like ftp
          through SSH?
          > I'm not sure but I think there is something out there that is
          available for
          > download? Please advice.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > CCF

          > visit www.onelist.com.

          C. M. Sturgeon
          Systems/Multimedia Dir.
          CIS Instructor
          Lee University
          Cleveland, TN
          (423)614-8557 Office

          Say Bye to Slow Internet!
          http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html
        • abdulla
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2000
            check out sftp.

            CCForteza wrote:

            > Is there a safer way to transfer file to your server, like ftp through SSH?
            > I'm not sure but I think there is something out there that is available for
            > download? Please advice.
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > CCF

            > visit www.onelist.com.
          • Christophe Trefois
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2000
              Hi,

              Here are infos about my old pc:
              50 mhz at 400 mb
              32 mb ram
              floppy and cd-rom drive

              is it possible to run red hat 7.0 on it??

              Thanks for ur response

              --
              chritsophe
            • rp@pradella.de
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 5, 2000
                >> you can use rsync together with ssh... for example:
                >>
                >> rsync -e ssh remoteuser@remotehost:/path/to/dirfile
                >> /path/to/local/dir/file

                > I think this is OK, however, if you are transferring hundreds of
                files,
                > almost every day, this will be too much of a time consuming. I was
                actually
                > looking for something more like a GUI (FTP PRO) type of program.

                Not at all. Leonid gave an example of a single file. However, rsync
                may also be used to sync whole trees in an efficient way. Big
                advantages (to name only some):

                - determination which files actually need to be sync'd,
                - optional compression,
                - no need for uncommon extensions, ssh is just fine
                - no need to open ftp on the firewalls

                For simpler needs (quick replacement of just a few files in a single
                directory) there's scp, btw.
                You might wish to try, and chances are you won't be missing ftp at
                all.

                regards,
                -r