Upgrade

  • Ed McMan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 1998
      How do I upgrade my kernel...I know a dumb question...but then again
      I've never done it before ;)
      ==
      From, EdMcMan@...
      m00net Irc Network http://www.m00.net (irc.m00.net)
      http://www.geocities.com/~eddie798/irc/irc.html
      CL in TimesSquare for GeoCities
      :) Happy :( Sad }:< Dog face :< Another Dog face }:( Mad
      :P Sticking tounge out =) Smiling while your sleeping (: backwards
      Also look at my Linux mailing list, to subscribe point your browser to http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/linux
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 1998

        > From: Ed McMan <edmcman@...>
        >
        > How do I upgrade my kernel...I know a dumb question...but then again
        > I've never done it before ;)

        Well Ed, this is something is have recently done, although i'm no expert
        I may be able to help. I'm assuming that you are upgrading a 2.0.*
        kernel (use unname -a to find out the kernel details) to something
        higher, otherwise you'll have to upgrade the libaries and alot more. See
        http://www.linuxhq.com/ for more details if you are upgrading 1.*.* to
        2.0.*. Check it out anyway it's very helpful.

        *** IMPORTANT - Don't forget to backup - ***

        If your just upgrading a 2.0.* kernel try the following, it worked for
        me:

        Copy the new kernel in Archived form to /usr/src;
        cp <new kernel> /usr/src

        Unarchive the file;
        tar -xvzf <new kernel>

        Ensure symbolic links to the new kernel sources;
        cd /usr/include
        rm -rf linux
        rm -rf asm
        ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ linux
        ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm

        Change to your new linux subdirectory;
        cd /usr/src/linux

        Ensure a clean source directory;
        make mrproper

        Configure kernel;
        make config (or if you have X use: make xconfig)

        Dependency and clean;
        make depend ; make clean.

        Compile kernel; (long wait)
        make zImage

        Build any selected modules;
        make modules.

        Install created modules;
        make modules_install

        Link modules directory to generic name;
        cd /lib/modules
        rm -f current
        ln -s <x.x.x> current (insert new kernel version in <x.x.>)

        Make new lilo config;
        cd /usr/src/linux
        make zlilo

        Run lilo;
        lilo

        And that's it. On dual boot systems (eg. loadlin) you need to copy over
        the new kernel into wherever the old one booted from.
        This is all from the HOWTO's see them for more information.

        Good luck, Greg.
      • Dr. Dinesh Mhatre
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
          how do i install rpm from cd without updating but satiesfying all
          dependencies

          thnx in advance
        • Robin Roe
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2003
            Dr. Dinesh Mhatre wrote:

            >how do i install rpm from cd without updating but satiesfying all
            >dependencies

            Well, first you'd have to find out what a package's dependancies
            are..

            Mount your CD, cd to the directory where the RPMs are (in a term
            window), then run the command "rpm -qp --depends <file>" where
            <file> is the RPM file you want installed. It'll tell you what other
            packages it needs. Then, you type "rpm -ihv" followed by all of the
            filenames of the packages the main one needs, like this:

            rpm -ihv filename.rpm filename2.rpm filename3.rpm

            And so forth..

            HTH,

            ==ROBIN==
          • Eric Maquiling

              On 03/31 23:54, Dr. Dinesh Mhatre wrote:
              > how do i install rpm from cd without updating but satiesfying all
              > dependencies

              Err, I don't get it. You are trying to update rpm packages? Or just
              updated the dependecies? You're upgrading something though?
              - --
              Eric
              gpg key: http://www.maquiling.org/gpg/eric.gpg
              Key fingerprint = 26D3 0AED 82CC F70A DEF5 4F28 B5C7 15C7 3AC0 DF97

            • Daniel Woo
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
                I am working at my HQ office which relies on 10 Windows NT4.0 servers with 128MB RAM, Pentium II 333 processors. I have been migrating most of the routers to switches this year, and run on Ethernet 100 Mbps LAN at HQ.

                We have a few offices at remote areas that complain of poor support and reliable access to the HQ.

                We are also concerned about security and need to update our intranet too.

                Please help with suggestions and recommendation if I want to migrate to upgrade both hardware and software. The budget allowed is more than $100,000.

                Thank you,
                Daniel.