Re: [linux] Stupid Modem Question

  • John
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 31, 2000
      On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, you wrote:

      > Dear John,
      >
      > I did not receive any spam pornographic mataerials in yahoo mail. Might
      > consider other service providers. So far their availability and response
      > is very fast even on a old machine with Window 95 platform.

      Well I had nothing but problems from yahoo, I used several
      computers, 486-66 upto a K6-3 350. As far as the spam, I did
      receive alot of spam, the majority was for pornographic
      websites. There was some spam relating to other topics. I dont
      know, maybe im just spam prone. although it is interesting, I
      only subscribed to 2 mailing list with that address and told
      like 2 people (who I know very well) the address, and I got
      spammed left and right. Using a newmail.net mail account,
      plublishing the email address on my website and telling people I
      really dont know that email address, I never get spam at that
      address....

      I obviously can not speak for others, I am just stating my
      experience with Yahoo.

      John
      spyder@...

      > Anyway the Pentium 75 16 MB PC is
      getting cranky. Need to change one. > > Regards. >
      > clok

    • Tom Albrecht
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2000
        At 06:01 AM 8/31/00 +0000, you wrote:

        >First piece of advice: Get DSL... You'll be tons happier with it. Second:
        >Look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Devices.txt. It should tell you the
        >requisite major/minor for /dev/ttyS5. If you don't have the kernel source
        >installed, do ls -lha /dev/ttyS*, and look at the major/minor combo for
        >them, then do mknod /dev/ttyS5 c foo quux
        >
        >of course, replace foo with the major number (first number listed) for
        >/dev/ttyS? (they will have the same major) and quux with the minor of
        >/dev/ttyS4, +1. Also, try disabling one of your onboard serial ports. This
        >should make it automagically drop down to take over that position.

        I had tried doing that, since it made sense (thank God that at least one OS
        makes sense!!!). It didn't work, though...

        I did a "setserial -ga /dev/ttyS*" and this is the output it gives me...
        any ideas where I should look next? ttyS4 and ttyS5 were the two that I
        created using the above method. I don't know what that "Fourport" thing means.

        Tom

        -----

        /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test
        /dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test
        /dev/ttyS2, Line 2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test
        /dev/ttyS3, Line 3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal
        /dev/ttyS4, Line 4, UART: unknown, Port: 0x01a0, IRQ: 2
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal Fourport
        /dev/ttyS5, Line 5, UART: unknown, Port: 0x01a8, IRQ: 2
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal Fourport
      • Dave Markowitz
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 2, 2000
          Scott wrote:

          > Is it a USR modem? (I'm sorry, I missed the original post.) If it is,
          > their customer support (by email) is usually pretty helpful, at least it
          > used to be, and they might be able to give you an answer.

          I found their tech support less than helpful when my USR external 56k
          died a couple of months ago. In their initial reply to my email, they
          said that they do not support "non-Windows operating systems," since I
          mentioned that I used Linux. Only after I sent them a second email
          detailing my troubleshooting on a Linux box and a second, Win95 PC, did
          they agree to service the modem.

          > BTW is this just me being grouchy? Egroups used to put their obnoxious
          > little ads at the end of each post, where they were easily ignored, but in
          > the last few days, seem to be putting the ads at the beginning where you
          > have to scroll past them. Personally, I find it annoying. Is it just
          > me? Should we send them a mass mailing and complain?

          It's their new policy which they announced last week. The other
          alternative is to pay ~$60/year per group for no ads.

          --
          Dave Markowitz, MCSE, A+
          dsmjd@...
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 2, 2000

            >Scott wrote:
            >
            > > Is it a USR modem? (I'm sorry, I missed the original post.) If it is,
            > > their customer support (by email) is usually pretty helpful, at least it
            > > used to be, and they might be able to give you an answer.
            >
            >I found their tech support less than helpful when my USR external 56k
            >died a couple of months ago. In their initial reply to my email, they
            >said that they do not support "non-Windows operating systems," since I
            >mentioned that I used Linux. Only after I sent them a second email
            >detailing my troubleshooting on a Linux box and a second, Win95 PC, did
            >they agree to service the modem.

            I must have gotten lucky then, when I wrote them. It was a few years ago,
            actually, and for something relatively simple. (and not Linux related)

            Of course, a lot of times, it depends which tech support person you get. I
            remember when my DSL was down for over two weeks, and I couldn' convince
            the tech support people that if they could ping the bridge from outside,
            and I could ping it from my box, the trouble wasn't between the wall jack
            and the central office. Finally, calling to check the status of repair I
            got an MCSE/CCNA tech who knew her stuff--turned out to be something that
            they were able to fix from their office in 5 minutes. (Of course, as she
            was good, she'd been promoted out of tech support, and I just happened to
            get her because there was no one else around.)

            I THINK--but am not sure, that gradually, as Linux becomes more and more
            mainstream, that even if a company doesn't officially support it, your
            chances of running into a support person who will help, get better.

            Scott