Telnet (the plot thickens)

  • Geoff Lane
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 1999
      Hi All,

      About a week ago, I asked for help because I couldn't get a login prompt
      when I attempted to telnet onto my server (Red Hat Linux 5.2). The inetd
      daemon was running and the logs showed valid connections. The telnet client
      confirmed that I'd connected to the server -- I just didn't get the login
      prompt. I can telnet onto other Linux boxes and instantly get the login
      prompt.

      So far, I've reinstalled Linux on the server (didn't help) and searched
      through the rc.d directory hoping to find a setting that looked wrong
      (nothing obvious (to me) found.) Today, I just let the telnet client run.
      Yahoo - I got the login prompt nearly one and a half minutes after
      establishing the connection. This is a huge improvement, but far from
      ideal.

      FWIW, pinging the server from the same Windows client gives:

      Pinging 172.24.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

      Ping statistics for 172.24.1.1:

      So the TCP/IP connection looks good.

      Can anyone suggest what's going wrong here?

      TIA,

      Geoff Lane
      Cornwall, UK
      geoff@...
    • David Cowan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 1999
        Its something to do with DNS resolution or DNS reverse lookups... I had
        a similar problem when I had my DNS set up wrongly...

        Dave

[...]

        Start a new hobby. Meet a new friend.
        http://www.onelist.com
        Onelist: The leading provider of free email list services
        Titanic 12 ... Hindenburg Zeppelin 37 ... Microsoft Windows 98
      • Domi
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 1999
          > So far, I've reinstalled Linux on the server (didn't help) and searched
          > through the rc.d directory hoping to find a setting that looked wrong
          > (nothing obvious (to me) found.) Today, I just let the telnet client
          run.
          > Yahoo - I got the login prompt nearly one and a half minutes after
          > establishing the connection. This is a huge improvement, but far from
          > ideal.

          Geoff, grand! They will always tell you patience is a virtue ;>. As for
          the problem, I have heard that reverse resolving might cause something
          like this. Since you are using a private IP range, it will not resolve.
          IIRC, you are not connected to the net 24/7. Is the IP you're trying to
          connect to from the server listed in /etc/hosts? If not, add it and see
          if that helps.

          good luck,

          //d
        • Geoff Lane
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 1999
            Domi, David:

            Thank you, thank you, thank you.

            I've added the IP addresses for all computers on the network to /etc/hosts.
            At the Windows command prompt: telnet 172.24.1.1 -- the login prompt
            appeared immediately.

            You guys are great.

            Thanks again,

            Geoff Lane