Re: Installing a printer

  • Geoff Lane
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 1999
      Hi Brian,

      You can (if you know what you're doing) install printers by directly editing
      /etc/printcap. FWIW, this is the only method that I know to set up a raw
      printer for use by Windows SMB clients.

      If you feel brave, then have a look at your existing printcap -- one of mine
      follows (in case you don't have any printers set up) -- this will allow you
      to see the general form. Have a look at the printcap man pages for further
      information.

      Please note that I'm a novice and experienced Linux users may know much more
      on the subject.

      HTH,

      Geoff Lane
      Cornwall, UK
      geoff@...

      #
      # Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
      # Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
      # Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
      #
      # This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

      ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL stcolor 360x360 a4 {} EpsonStylusColor Default {}
      lp:\
      :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
      :mx#0:\
      :sh:\