Logs

  • Ted Florence
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 1998
      Please tell me how I can access the activity logs to:
      a) see all telnet access attempts
      b) search all server activity for a particular item

      BTW, where does Linux keep all the log files?

      Sorry to keep asking this stuff but I am a new user.

      --
      Ted
    • Ed McMan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 17, 1998
        /var/log or /var/logs

        ---Ted Florence <ted@...> wrote:

        > From: Ted Florence <ted@...>
        >
        > Please tell me how I can access the activity logs to:
        > a) see all telnet access attempts
        > b) search all server activity for a particular item
        >
        > BTW, where does Linux keep all the log files?
        >
        > Sorry to keep asking this stuff but I am a new user.
        >
        > --
        > Ted

        ==
        From, EdMcMan
        m00net Irc Network http://www.m00.net (irc.m00.net:20000)
        http://www.geocities.com/~eddie798/irc/irc.html
        CL in TimesSquare for GeoCities
        :) Happy :( Sad }:< Dog face :< Another Dog face }:( Mad
        :P Sticking tounge out =) Smiling while your sleeping (: backwards
        Also look at my Linux mailing list, to subscribe point your browser to
        http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/linux
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2003
          And Thus Spake "Jesse G. Lands" <usedtire@...> (on Thu, 24
          Jul 2003 12:38:45 -0000 (GMT)):

          > I have found (in a google search) that the system shut downs are kernel or
          > hardware problem most likely, but I wanted to see if I could find a log
          > that would tell me what was going on. So far what I have found has been
          > clear as mud.

          This is going to vary depending on your distro.

          Post your /etc/syslog.conf here and we can tell you what logs go where.

          --
          G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
          Registered Linux user #284683
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2003
            And Thus Spake "Jesse G. Lands" <usedtire@...> (on Thu, 24
            Jul 2003 13:23:45 -0000 (GMT)):

            > > Post your /etc/syslog.conf here and we can tell you what logs go where.
            >
            > Sorry I knew I should have done that, but forgot. I am running Red Hat
            > 9.0. I can't get the syslog.conf until a little later.

            Don't bother. I still have a RH9 install on a partition here somewhere...

            OK, found it...

            Kernel messages are going to get shoved into /var/log/messages with
            everything else. Messy.

            What you can do is add these 2 lines to your /etc/syslog.conf file:

            # Log kernel messages with priority "error" or higher to /var/log/kernel
            kern.err /var/log/kernel

            Then send syslogd a SIGHUP so it rereads its configuration:

            killall -s HUP syslogd

            From now on, kernel messages will be directed to /var/log/kernel and you can
            browse through them independently of the rest of the clutter. That should at
            least help you find what you're looking for while being more flexible in
            that it doesn't make you have to grep for the appropriate lines in the main
            logfile.

            --
            G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
            Registered Linux user #284683
            The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
            So, I installed LINUX!
          • Jesse G. Lands
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2003
              Seeing as I am still getting my feet wet I was wondering if anyone can
              point me to the logs that would monitor system information. Specifically
              I have had a problem with my computer shutting down, by itself, or my
              computer locking up on the screen saver.

              I have found (in a google search) that the system shut downs are kernel or
              hardware problem most likely, but I wanted to see if I could find a log
              that would tell me what was going on. So far what I have found has been
              clear as mud.

              Thanks for any and all help. This is the most useful list I have been on
              and the input I have gotten from people like Godwin, James and Scott have
              gone a long way to getting me where I want to be.

              Jesse
            • Jesse G. Lands
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 2003
                > This is going to vary depending on your distro.
                >
                > Post your /etc/syslog.conf here and we can tell you what logs go where.

                Sorry I knew I should have done that, but forgot. I am running Red Hat
                9.0. I can't get the syslog.conf until a little later.

                Thanks
                Jesse