Re: [linux] Using Linux box as a gateway

  • Dave Markowitz
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 2:53 PM
      Greg Froese wrote:

      > I just setup my linux box to connect to the net using my adsl connection
      > with pppoe from roaringpenguin.com.
      >
      > What else do I need to do, either in Linux or on my windows box, so I
      > can use my windows programs (IE, Outlook, etc) through my linux box
      > connection?
      >
      > I added a gateway to the TCP/IP protocol of my windows network card to
      > the IP of my Linux box, but that didn't seem to work.

      Greg,

      You need to implement IP Masquerading on you Linux box, as follows (this
      sets up a script to do it):

      1. Login as root.
      2. Copy the following lines into vi or whatever you favorite text editor
      is:

      <clip>

      #!/bin/bash
      #This script activates IP masquerading in Linux.
      ipchains -P forward DENY
      ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j MASQ
      echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

      </clip>

      3. Save the file in /root as "masq".
      4. cd to /root and at prompt, type "chmod +x masq".
      5. At prompt, type "./masq" to activate IP masquerading. Ignore any
      warning messages.
      6. Logout as root, for security reasons.
      7. Set default gateway on client PCs to IP address of Linux box.
      8. Surf the Internet, drink a beer, eat a pizza.

      Additional info on this is available in the IP Masquerading HOWTO at
      <http://linuxdoc.org>.

      Hope this helps.

      --
      Dave Markowitz, MCP, A+