Symbolic definitions in compilers

  • David Allen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 1999
      Does anybody know of where one could find a list of what is defined for
      gcc in different operating systems?

      Specifically, when I'm programming so that I can port stuff, I have to do
      a bunch of #ifdef's to check to see what OS I'm working on, and I need a list
      of those definitions so I can code the #ifdef's to check whether I'm on
      solaris, linux, (x86? alpha?) FreeBSD, etc. etc. etc.

      I would appreciate it if somebody has a link if they could post it up here.

      --
      David Allen
      http://members.xoom.com/uruk/index.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 1999
        > From: David Allen <yurtle@...>
        >
        > Does anybody know of where one could find a list of what is defined for
        > gcc in different operating systems?
        >
        > Specifically, when I'm programming so that I can port stuff, I have to do
        > a bunch of #ifdef's to check to see what OS I'm working on, and I need a list
        > of those definitions so I can code the #ifdef's to check whether I'm on
        > solaris, linux, (x86? alpha?) FreeBSD, etc. etc. etc.
        >
        > I would appreciate it if somebody has a link if they could post it up here.
        >
        > --
        > David Allen
        you might look at this package:

        * Autoconf (SrcCD)

        Autoconf produces shell scripts which automatically configure source code
        packages. These scripts adapt the packages to many kinds of Unix-like
        systems without manual user intervention. Autoconf creates a script for
        a package from a template file which lists the operating system features
        which the package can use, in the form of `m4' macro calls. Autoconf
        requires GNU `m4' to operate, but the resulting configure scripts it
        generates do not.

        from -- ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/gnu/DESCRIPTIONS

        Look in ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/gnu/autoconf
        Hope this helps
        Johnny O

        | _,,,---,,_ +-----------------------------+
        ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ | Isn't there always a cat |
        |,4- ) )-,_. , ( `'-' | on whatever you're reading? |
        '---''(_/--' `-'_) +-----------------------------+
        | University, n.: Like a software house, except the software's free, |
        | and it's usable, and it works, and if it breaks they'll quickly |
        | tell you how to fix it, and ... |
        | John O'Donnell (Sr. Systems Engineer, Webmaster, Network Admin, etc...) |
        | Voice FX Corporation | Phone: (610)941-1000 |
        | 1100 E. Hector Street | Fax: (610)941-9844 |
        | Suite 416 | E-Mail: johnod@... |
        | Conshohocken, PA 19428 | www.voicefx.com |
        | | www.campusdirect.com |
        ACKRQ