64644Re: [linux] Re: PHP is bad and Cellphones are worse (was Re: 2 PDF freebies ...)

    Aug 24, 2014
      On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 06:17:38PM -0500, Matt Bailey dabigboy@... [linux] wrote:
      > On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:11:55 -0700
      > "Thad Floryan thad@... [linux]" <linux@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >
      > <snip>
      > >
      > > The second Cracked article is also NOT well-researched. See this for
      > > the 12 pictures which is a sad commentary on our times:
      > >
      > > http://dbagging.com/12-smartphone-douchebags/
      > >
      > > Thad
      >
      > I am not 100% convinced of cell phone health effects, but I am
      > definitely concerned that the possibility exists.

      I wouldn't argue that.

      > However, I am totally disgusted with society's complete obsession
      > with cell phones, and that extends to the obsession with the less
      > meaningful aspects of the internet in general

      Heh, and I wouldn't argue that either.

      > passing dumb cat videos back and forth.

      Well, many of the cats ARE cute.

      It
      > disheartens me to see a Carl Sagan video or someone's technical how-to
      > video that was uploaded 3 years ago get less than 100,000 views, while
      > something like "celebrities read mean tweets" from a year ago has
      > TWENTY FOUR MILLION views.

      And isn't all that funny, actually. Maybe we're just old though.
      Honestly, I don't know. I do see my wife, for example, getting mad at kids
      on the train and me saying, Didn't you ever show off with your friends on
      the train?, but I'm sure that suburban Japan in the late 60's and early
      70's was a lot different than spoiled suburban kids like my friends and
      myself trying to show how cool we were.

      > The internet is like a grocery story for your mind: there is junk food,
      > there's health food, there are relatively harmless snacks, there are
      > desserts, fruits & vegetables. People seem to think that since there is
      > no obvious physical effect to what your mind takes in, it's OK to feed
      > it junk food ALL THE TIME.

      I've decided that the Internet is teenagers criticizing 20 year olds for
      being stupid. (For example, all the anti-Bieber stuff--I bet it's from the
      16 year olds who are just jealous that the girl they like would rather
      listen to Bieber than talk with them.

      > Speaking of which, the home TV is one device that I genuinely believe
      > our society would have been far better off had it never been invented.
      > As much human capital as there is being wasted on cell phones and
      > internet use, it is incredible how much is being lost to CONSTANT,
      > mindless TV viewing. People even keep these things running in the
      > background while they are doing other tasks.

      Ok, I go on TV binging, , so I can't say anything about that
      save for the fact that if I spent that time studying my craft, I'd be on a
      much higher level.