      Subject: Free DoD Encryption Wizard and free LPS Linux Live distro (was: ... Oracle Java 7 "upgrade" fiasco)
      Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:53:56 -0700
      From: Thad Floryan <thad@...>
      Newsgroups: ba.internet

      On 4/14/2014 3:02 PM, Thad Floryan wrote re: Java applications
      that were hosed by Oracle's crapola Java 7 and 8 and requiring
      deleting 7.* and 8.* and reinstalling 6u43:
      > [...]
      > http://www.pdfsam.org/
      > [...]
      > https://www.cabaret-solutions.com/
      > [...]
      > https://www.thinkorswim.com/tos/client/index.jsp
      > [...]

      I've been catching up on today's email and one was a reminder
      from the DoD there's a new release of the Lightweight Portable
      Security LIVE Linux distro which is good for secure use at any
      WiFi spot and elsewhere for home banking and much more; you'd
      probably want the DeLuxe version for the extra features:

      http://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

      noting the entire Live distro loads into RAM and the CD can be
      removed immediately after loading the LPS system.

      FWIW, I've been using the LPS Live Linux distro since it was
      first released; the latest version was released yesterday, Monday.
      The info page about LPS is here:

      http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lps

      Note it's free as is the DoD's free Encryption Wizard which is
      Java-based for cross-platform use noting the manual and software
      have been recently updated in 2014:

      http://spi.dod.mil/ewizard.htm
      http://spi.dod.mil/docs/EW_DS_20090615.pdf data sheet, 214kB
      http://spi.dod.mil/ewizard_usecases.htm
      http://spi.dod.mil/docs/ewmanual.pdf manual, 2.4MB

      That's from the USAF Research Labs at Wright-Patterson AFB. The
      Wizard functions on all of *BSD, Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, UNIX and
      Windows using Java.

      FWIW, the "spi" in the above URLs stands for the Software Protection
      Initiative of December 2001:

      http://spi.dod.mil/

      Thad