61139Re: [linux] Re: CentOS, RedHat, and Linux Distros etc...

  • Mike Adams
    Sep 1, 2012
      > Another distro was revealed to me on DistroWatch after that named
      > SchilliX but that's too new to really consider for my purposes. I
      > need stability. The final choice looks like it will be between
      > OpenIndiana and FreeBSD. Here's my screenshot of OpenIndiana:
      I've got a good friend (the fellow I used to operate the BBS with) who's
      an IT guy at a college in West Texas right now, and he told me he's
      using FreeBSD on his home network, and he's pretty happy with it.
      > Understood. My gripe with Debian for which I could never get an
      > answer was "which of the 60+ CDs or 10+ DVDs does one need to download
      > to install Debian?", so I said to hell with it. True enterprise-class
      > systems (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, etc.) don't require that many disks so
      > that was a clear sign that Debian is as disorganized as RedHat, et al.
      They've got it down to 8 DVDs now, though I've got a live version on a
      DVD with Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mint, and Ubuntu. It's got four different
      boot sequences, and none of them boot up successfully on my desktop
      (they do on my laptop). They've got an online manual just to do the
      installation. It gets back to my earlier statement that the
      installation process has to be user-friendly or a lot of folks won't
      bother (of course the Debian folks may not care).
      > Developers for the most part are NOT designers. Human interface
      > design is beyond the capabilities of most people without training.
      > Professional designers (think $$$) are needed for best results and
      > that's not going to happen in the free open-source community unless
      > a professional(s) donates their time.
      I understand what you mean. actually, that's how I learned what little
      I knew about programming when I had the C-64. There was lots of PD
      software that "did the job" but that was about all it did. I'd go in an
      clean it up and give it a better look and feel. Unfortunately, as I
      said, I was more of a dabbler than a real programmer and knew where my
      limitations were.
      > I can believe it. KMahjongg on CentOS is subjectively much better
      > than the Gnome (?) Mahjongg. They're both good games to play while
      > on the phone. :-)
      This is a good case in point. KMahjongg has a much better look and feel
      than Gnome Mahjongg though they're both very playable. In fact, the
      only thing either of them need to take them to the next level is some
      simple sound effects. While most folks are visual in nature, having
      some auditory feedback increases the enjoyment of a game and the
      effectiveness of the learning process. You can go overboard with things
      like that, of course (witness the Ultimate Edition distro).