61136Re: [linux] Re: CentOS, RedHat, and Linux Distros etc...

  • Mike Adams
    Sep 1, 2012
      > Then, later, the Redhat/CentOS douchebags did another untested update
      > which clobbered libraries used by both OpenOffice and GoogleEarth, and
      > now neither of those two apps function any more. System is hosed, and
      > I have NO idea what it'll take to get those programs running again
      > other than to wipeout CentOS and install anything other than a toy OS
      > such as RHEL or CentOS. That subsequent update FUBAR library delete
      > is documented here:

      So what distro are you looking at as a replacement (I'm sure you're
      giving that matter some consideration)?

      > So did I and I still have what may arguably be the world's largest
      > C64 re: disk drives and other accessories. I was also an Amiga
      > developer and helped run FAUG (First Amiga Users Group) and BAADGE
      > (Bay Area Amiga Developers GroupE).

      I must confess that I miss the C128 and Amiga. A friend and I operated
      a BBS for 10 years, starting with the C64 and eventually moving to an AT
      we built from spare parts. Even when we ran it on the AT, we supported
      only Commodore users in the filebase. I was newsletter editor for our
      own local Commodore user group for most of that ten years. Fun days!

      > > I could switch to OpenOffice fairly easily, of course, but I have
      > > no need for the entire suite in its case either. For the moment,
      > > it's not a big issue with me.
      >
      > But what was the issue? Surely not disk space.

      Habit more than anything else. Back in the days when hard drives were
      incredibly expensive, I generally cleaned them of anything I wasn't
      using. At times it's also the knowledge that if I ever needed to do
      what those programs did, I'd rather choose the ones I used.

      > Ubuntu supports less than 25% of available packages with security
      > updates
      >
      > Debian releases are much more bug-free and stable
      >
      > Ubuntu's commercial support is not available for TurnKey anyhow
      >
      > Note the above is TURNkey linux, not Turkey linux. :-)

      Here's where I've got a beef with most of the Linux distros (other than
      those related to Ubuntu). Admittedly, it's a fixable beef, but it's a
      big one for the moment. When it comes to installing an OS, I don't have
      the knowledge (or confidence) at the moment to know what to do and how
      to do it when it comes to partitioning a hard drive and setting up the
      booting software. I've got some resources available for study, and I'll
      eventually get around to it, but for the moment, I figure a LOT of
      potential Linux users are like me when it comes to installing a system.
      Ubuntu's installer is easy to use, and it has the option available for
      those with the skill and knowledge to fiddle around more if desired. If
      the designers of Linux distributions want to increase their user-base,
      one way is to tone down the technical skills and knowledge necessary to
      install them in the first place.

      I looked at Debian a while back... I couldn't figure out how to install
      it. It was asking questions I didn't know the answers to, and I didn't
      understand enough to even ask the right questions to get the answers.
      Even Linux Mint's Debian edition made some assumptions that created a
      problem for me when I installed it a while back (though I eventually
      blundered into the answer, I still have no clear understanding as to why
      the problem existed in the first place when it was so easy to avoid
      it). The next time I feel like wiping things and starting over, I may
      give it a try again.

      Another issue I've got is easier to fix in some respects. Linux
      software (not the OS software) in many cases is brilliantly functional,
      but the look and feel is often non-intuitive and clumsy. It's getting
      better. In fact, though I do not like the KDE desktop, some of the
      software designed for KDE has a great look and feel.

      > The Ubuntus I have (8.04.4 and 9.04) I'll keep running forever because
      > the 8.04.4 is great on one of my laptops-as-a-desktop and 9.04 runs my
      > SheevaPlug LAN servers.

      That's the beauty of things. If it's working and meets your needs,
      there's no driving need to change.

      Mike