60636Re: Q: CentOS/RHEL - what is it that puts up the graphic login window

    May 1, 2012
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 12:45:03AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
      > > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@> wrote:

      > > /var/lib/yum/yumdb/p/8baa1b4a5662d830ef508bc8f9c255c5762e524f-pulseaudio-gdm-hooks-0.9.21-13.el6-x86_64
      > >
      > > whatinell is Poettering doing mucking with gdm?
      >
      > Whatever they let him do. I came to the conclusion, recently, that
      > while we (not only you and I, but a generic we, ) get on poor
      > Mr. Poettering's case, the fault is with those who feel his ideas
      > should go into these systems and put them in without proper testing or
      > documentation. It's tempting to blame Mr. Poettering, but he doesn't
      > own RH, and I doubt he makes all these decisions himself.

      I have read a bunch of interviews with him (and I have the URLs of
      those on file) and it comes down to the simple fact he simply doesn't
      give a damn who his changes affect and it's clearly obvious (at least
      to me given what I learned on contract to JPL in the early 1970s to
      establish and prove the tenets of software DESIGN and portability)
      that he has NO concept of software design.

      People who call themselves "software engineers" are blatant liars --
      they have NO concept of engineering disciplines and tools (such as
      schematics for the EE, blueplints for the CEs and MEs, and flowcharts
      for the [alleged] SEs).

      You'd be surprised how many Stanford and UCB grads I refused to hire
      because they couldn't demonstrate any software design concepts, and
      that problem is even worse today even at companies that should know
      better (such as Linuxcare aka Levanta where I ran the IT group and
      had to interface with so-called "software engineers"). At Tymshare I
      was the author of their database system and all engineering software
      (ECAP, MICAP, COGO, etc.) and also the co-author of the first commercial relational DBMS (in the early 1970s) -- I do know what I'm
      doing and 4+ decades of success proves it. :-)

      With that written, I downloaded all the Red Hat 6.2 PDF docs from:

      <http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/index.html>

      and searched all them simultaneously using Adobe Reader (on one of my
      Windows boxes because nothing on Linux will search and index multiple
      PDFs) and found some relevant info regarding PAM and GDM along with
      100s of bugs -- I'm tempted to simply delete /etc/pam.d/ because it
      and GDM don't appear to be enterprise quality. But I'll defer doing
      that until examining gconftool2 and/or gconf-editor which we found by
      the PDF search.

      I'm still really PO'd this problem appeared suddenly today after all
      the prior successful logins. I need to also check the log of all
      installed updates for additional clues since Red Hat clowns seem to
      delight in introducing regressions.

      > And, I don't think it's just RH. There is a gradual Windows-
      > ization of Linux, hiding things behind GUIs, making it harder and
      > harder to get to what controls the GUI.

      Gradual!? You better sit down: up next is Linux's Registry file just
      like Windows. Don't believe? Read the grub2 docs for a starter. :-)

      > On the bright side, we do have more options than with MS or Apple,
      > as far as choosing desktop, type of login, and so on.

      True, but most of the options are superfluous. :-)

      Hey, all I want to do is login and do my work, not wait 15 minutes for
      the login window to appear as it's doing now on my CentOS 6.2 system
      since today.

      > [...]
      > My impression, which I think I've given before, is that in the old
      > days, most developers were also sysadmins.

      True. That was true for me (as a developer) since the sysadmins had
      no clue how the systems operate internally nor could they fix bugs
      so I had to wear multiple hats from 1965 through 2008

      > Now they're probably users who grew up thinking Apple is the
      > epitome of what a computer should be.

      Apple is NOT well-respected here in Silicon Valley though 40 miles
      North of here in 'Frisco it's big among all the hipsters as you can
      see here:

      <http://dbagging.com/level-500-hipster/> :-)

      A friend of mine in Reno took his Mac Pro to the so-called "genius"
      bar today because Apple Mail is a royal POS and email filters set up
      using it prevented mail from me (and others) reaching him. I keep
      recommending that he install Thunderbird which would also permit use
      of GPG. But he's 84 years old and a bit set in his ways. Sigh. The
      problem was "solved" by the Apple "genius" deleting all the filters.
      D'oh, head slap and face palm. :-)

      > And, I've got to admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I enjoy being
      > able to type yum install or apt-get install, not worrying about
      > dependencies, not worrying about compiling my own network card
      > drivers, not needed to find out my monitor's exact specs. So,
      > while I rail against the catering to the newcomer, I also take
      > advantage of it.

      No problemo -- there's nothing wrong with a well-designed GUI. A
      number of my products over the years had them and though I'm a
      command-line kind of guy I appreciate a good GUI, too -- saves time.

      If you want to see some really bad GUIs and related IT SNAFUs/FUBARs:

      <http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/>

      :-)
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic