60635Re: [linux] Re: Q: CentOS/RHEL - what is it that puts up the graphic login window

    May 1, 2012
      On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 12:45:03AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 10:57:28AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
      > > > [...]
      >
      > /var/lib/yum/yumdb/p/8baa1b4a5662d830ef508bc8f9c255c5762e524f-pulseaudio-gdm-hooks-0.9.21-13.el6-x86_64
      >
      > whatinell is Poettering doing mucking with gdm?

      Whatever they let him do. I came to the conclusion, recently, that
      while we (not only you and I, but a generic we, ) get on poor
      Mr. Poettering's case, the fault is with those who feel his ideas
      should go into these systems and put them in without proper testing or
      documentation. It's tempting to blame Mr. Poettering, but he doesn't
      own RH, and I doubt he makes all these decisions himself.

      And, I don't think it's just RH. There is a gradual Windows-ization of
      Linux, hiding things behind GUIs, making it harder and harder to get to
      what controls the GUI.

      On the bright side, we do have more options than with MS or Apple, as
      far as choosing desktop, type of login, and so on.

      > Y'know, it's all these kinds of regressive bugs [*ALL* distros] that
      > give Linux a bad name and prevent greater adoption on the desktop and
      > [often] as servers. Never had these kind of inexcusable problems with
      > Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, or any *BSD.

      My impression, which I think I've given before, is that in the old
      days, most developers were also sysadmins. Now they're probably users
      who grew up thinking Apple is the epitome of what a computer should be.

      And, I've got to admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I enjoy being able to
      type yum install or apt-get install, not worrying about dependencies,
      not worrying about compiling my own network card drivers, not needed to
      find out my monitor's exact specs. So, while I rail against the
      catering to the newcomer, I also take advantage of it.

      Buffy: You're missing the whole point of Halloween.
      Willow: Free candy?!
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic