60633Re: Q: CentOS/RHEL - what is it that puts up the graphic login window

    May 1, 2012
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 10:57:28AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
      > > [...]
      > > I can ssh into the system just fine within 20 seconds or so of
      > > powering up, but the graphic login screen is delayed and there is
      > > no disk activity whatsoever for quite a long time. I didn't time
      > > the number of minutes. Once logged on, I can logout and a new
      > > login window appears almost instantly, so this is something
      > > related to being just-booted.
      >
      > What happens if you boot into runlevel 3 and then do startx. I put
      > nothing past Gnome people or RH in breaking things.

      I haven't explicitly tried that (yet) because X is running fine, it's
      just the presentation of the login window is delayed many minutes.

      We already know that some idiot at Red Hat mucked with the login in
      RHEL/Centos 6* since it worked fine in CentOS 5 and, in fact, has been
      fine since (at least) Red Hat 9 circa 2003. You may remember my bug
      finding last month with all user names revealed in the login window
      which is fixable and what I implemented; RH's argument the fix breaks
      smart card support is specious -- those idiots broke something that
      was working fine.

      I suspect the problem is with one of these:

      /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gdm-simple-greeter.desktop
      /usr/share/gdm/gdm-greeter-login-window.ui
      /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/orca/scripts/apps/gdmlogin.py
      /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/orca/scripts/apps/gdmlogin.pyc
      /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/orca/scripts/apps/gdmlogin.pyo
      /etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin

      and what's really annoying is seeing nutcase Poettering's grubby
      fingers on this:

      /var/lib/yum/yumdb/p/8baa1b4a5662d830ef508bc8f9c255c5762e524f-pulseaudio-gdm-hooks-0.9.21-13.el6-x86_64

      whatinell is Poettering doing mucking with gdm?

      > > If anyone could reveal the name of the process that puts up the
      > > login window, I could take it from there. SELINUX is *NOT*
      > > enabled as best as I can tell.
      >
      > sestatus is the command to check that.

      Thank you! I didn't know that command. It reports "disabled" which
      is what I selected during the install last month.

      > Also /etc/sysconfig/selinux.

      Thanks again; that's now in my notes for things to check [later].

      Y'know, it's all these kinds of regressive bugs [*ALL* distros] that
      give Linux a bad name and prevent greater adoption on the desktop and
      [often] as servers. Never had these kind of inexcusable problems with
      Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, or any *BSD.

      I've wasted already 5 hours tracking down this bug which mysteriously
      "just" appeared today; logins from cold boots were fine Monday and
      ever since the install on March 11, 2012 (hard to believe it's been
      that long already).
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic