60631Re: [linux] Q: CentOS/RHEL - what is it that puts up the graphic login window

    May 1, 2012
      On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 10:57:28AM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:

      > I can ssh into the system just fine within 20 seconds or so of powering
      > up, but the graphic login screen is delayed and there is no disk
      > activity whatsoever for quite a long time. I didn't time the number of
      > minutes. Once logged on, I can logout and a new login window appears
      > almost instantly, so this is something related to being just-booted.

      What happens if you boot into runlevel 3 and then do startx. I put
      nothing past Gnome people or RH in breaking things.

      > If anyone could reveal the name of the process that puts up the login
      > window, I could take it from there. SELINUX is *NOT* enabled as best
      > as I can tell.

      sestatus is the command to check that. Also /etc/sysconfig/selinux.

      setenforce 0 will change status to off, but that will be lost with
      reboot. setenforce=0 can be added to the kernel line though, if you
      want to boot it once to check. (Note that, especially if you're
      generally using it, it's much quicker to change, in
      /etc/sysconfig/selinux, to and from permissive--if you change to and
      from disabled/enabled, it will relabel upon bootup.