55532Re: [linux] Re: Whatever happened to "Linux Magazine"?

  • Raquel
    Apr 2, 2009
      On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:48:56 -0000
      "Harold Williams" <hh6199@...> wrote:

      > --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Thad Floryan" <thad@...> wrote:
      > > Now *THAT* (using /etc/hosts) is one of the most useful tips I've
      > > seen in ages! Many thanks!
      > >
      > At the risk of looking really dumb...Could someone explain what
      > using /etc/hosts means?
      > If it is better than using Adblock plus in Firefox then I would
      > like to implement it.
      > Thanks,
      > Harold

      I never even thought of using /etc/hosts this way, although, I use it
      for DNS on all our machines here.

      A good place to look for information on how to use /etc/hosts is to
      read 'man hosts'.

      "hosts - The static table lookup for host names"

      "This file is a simple text file that associates
      IP addresses with hostnames, one line per IP address. For
      each host a single line should be present with the following

      IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]"

      Oppression can only survive through silence.

      --Carmen de Monteflores
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic