55530Re: Whatever happened to "Linux Magazine"?

  • Harold Williams
    Apr 2 6:48 AM
      --- In linux@yahoogroups.com, "Thad Floryan" <thad@...> wrote:

      > Now *THAT* (using /etc/hosts) is one of the most useful tips I've seen
      > in ages! Many thanks!
      >
      > As a payback, assuming your partner is using, ahem, Windows, there has
      > been an /etc/hosts equivalent on Windows OSs for at least 10 years now
      > (Win2K, WinXP, Vista, Win7) per:
      >
      > C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
      >
      > Yes, "hosts" (without ".txt"). Its format is identical to Linux/UNIX
      > for some POSIX compatibility.

      At the risk of looking really dumb...Could someone explain what using /etc/hosts means?

      If it is better than using Adblock plus in Firefox then I would like to implement it.

      Thanks,
      Harold
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic