53968Re: [linux] Linux on Vista Ready systems

  • Isaac MacFarlane
    Aug 1, 2008
      On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 06:37:43PM -0600, Isaac MacFarlane wrote:
      >
      > > I've installed it on an Acer Aspire 4720z and the only problem I had was
      > > with the Atheros AR5007EG card. A google search and a compile of a later
      > hal
      > > took care of it. Everything else works fine. I haven't tested the memory
      > > card reader slots, but I expect those will work as well. They do on my
      > Acer
      > > Aspire 3680 which is year older and they work fine under Fedora 9. That
      > was
      > > another Vista laptop and again the issue was with wireless. On this one
      > it
      > > was a Broadcom and the biggest issue was finding a copy of the firmware
      > that
      > > would work with it. They both are rock solid once you get the wireless
      > > worked out.
      >
      > Hi Isaac--by the way, please don't top post, it makes the entire
      > conversation difficult to follow. It's far better to do it in the way
      > one would have a conversation, answer point A after point A, point B
      > after point B, etc.
      >
      > Yes, the AR5007EG was more problematic till this year, when FreeBSD's
      > Sam Leffler provided a Hal to MadWifi that works beautifully in both 32
      > and 64 bit. (Last year's builds only worked with 32 bit.) The
      > livna-testing repo that many Fedora people use now has a working rpm for
      > it, though they're often a day or two behind a kernel upgrade.
      >
      > Mandriva, from their 2008 Spring one-cd also provided support. This
      > might have tied in with their EEE PC build, as it is a card that is, or
      > at least was, used in many of those--though the 900, I hear, uses a
      > Realink card with its own issues.
      >
      > I have page covering the Acer Aspire 4720z, dealing with sound, wireless
      > and webcam. None of them were overly problematic, though sound on
      > CentOS doesn't work--I'm guessing it may have to do with the older
      > version of Alsa that they use, since it works with all other
      > distributions that I've tried.

      I tried Madriva Spring 2008 first and it wasn't any fun at all. It did
      support the card out of the box, but it would crash in less than an hour if
      the wireless was used. Needless to say that I didn't keep it around for very
      long. I ended up trying Linux Mint 5 since I had heard such good things
      about it. And I must say that it does seem to be very nice. I was lucky that
      I didn't have any other problems though.

      BTW, what was your problem with the webcam? I've never tried it, I just
      assumed it would work since it did with Mandriva.