53079Re: [linux] How to change the ip address

    Mar 2, 2008
      On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 10:26:32PM +0000, ed wrote:
      > Scott wrote:
      > >

      > > Ah Michael, one of my favorite examples when trolling about how Linux
      > > docs are almost useless. :) That man page should be taken out and
      > > The URL of the faq was given you when you joined the list
      > > and since this is a common question, I put it on there.
      > >

      > The man page is fine. If you think there's something to contribute to it
      > then rather than change the FAQ, why not be a maintainer for the
      > ifconfig (nettools?) gnu project, and add something to the ifconfig
      > output that suggests using man ifconfig or info ifconfig (if the man
      > page exists in the manpath).

      I'm sorry Ed, I respectfully disagree. Compare it to the OpenBSD page.
      Look at the Linux ifconfig man page and tell me, only from that page,
      how I create an alias on an interface.

      Why don't I offer a patch? Because, quite frankly, these days I'm far
      too busy. While I understand, and agree with, various rules for posting
      on wikis, offering patches, submitting bug and PR reports (depending
      upon O/S) especially with something the size of the GNU project,
      it becomes too complex. Instead, I put the info on my pages, which are
      readily available. It can be amusing at times. Having trouble with
      configuring scim, used for Japanese input, I went to look at their
      README, only to see a suggestion to look at my pages.

      I think that, especially for a newcomer, the ifconfig man page is not a
      good page.

      I believe you do some programming. The well-known free online (at least
      it used to be) Rute book, said somewhere that one should expect to read
      a man page three times before understanding it. How much pride would
      you take in a program that you wrote, and had to tell the end user, look
      you have to run it three times before it might work. If it doesn't work
      after that, well, it's your fault. Most Linux manpages are buggy
      software.

      Examples of non-buggy software:
      The fluxbox man page, written by someone who was enthusiastic about it
      and really wanted to help people understand and use it.
      Robert Watson's FreeBSD jail man page.
      The OpenBSD ifconfig man page.

      Frankly, much of the MS documentation. All of these things are what I
      call server O/S documentation. A busy system admin doesn't have time
      to start googling to figure out what they're talking about. Read the
      jail man page and you can implement it immediately.

      The ifconfig man page is a hobbyist's man page, written for someone who
      has time.

      I used to agree that we should send people to the man pages. Then, after
      using BSD and seeing what man pages should be, I came to my present way
      of thinking.

      Sigh, I guess I'm almost trolling here, but hopefully, I've been around
      long enough, and have reasonably good relationships with the people who
      will be annoyed by what I've written so that it will be Ok. Otherwise,
      one of the mods might ban me.

      Ford: What happened?
      Spike: We're stuck in a basement.
      Ford: Buffy?