53078Re: [linux] How to change the ip address

    Mar 2, 2008
      Scott wrote:

      > On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 03:15:28PM +0000, Michael Kjorling wrote:
      >>
      >> On 1 Mar 2008 19:31 +0530, by kurianpol@...
      > <mailto:kurianpol%40gmail.com> (Kurian Polachan):
      >> > 1. I have a linux machine ....i need to know how to change the ip
      >> > address and subnet mask through the command line...????
      >>
      >> man ifconfig
      >
      > Ah Michael, one of my favorite examples when trolling about how Linux
      > docs are almost useless. :) That man page should be taken out and
      > shot.
      >
      > Of course, to the original poster, you could look at the list faq.
      > The URL of the faq was given you when you joined the list
      > and since this is a common question, I put it on there.
      >
      > As a matter of fact, I'll add how to configure DHCP to it now--though,
      > judging from the fact that so many questions on this list indicate
      > people don't bother to look at it makes me wonder if it's worth the
      > effort.

      The man page is fine. If you think there's something to contribute to it
      then rather than change the FAQ, why not be a maintainer for the
      ifconfig (nettools?) gnu project, and add something to the ifconfig
      output that suggests using man ifconfig or info ifconfig (if the man
      page exists in the manpath).

      --
      The T3 to your house is shot because of a translator who speaks Bocce.
      Verizon is having Robert Mann to write some scripts.