53065Re: [linux] How to change the ip address

    Mar 2, 2008
      On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 11:11:11PM +0000, Michael Kjorling wrote:

      > >> man ifconfig
      > >
      > > Ah Michael, one of my favorite examples when trolling about how Linux
      > > docs are almost useless. :) That man page should be taken out and
      > > shot.
      >
      > Really? It doesn't seem quite so bad to me. From the synopsis at the
      > top:
      >
      > ifconfig interface [aftype] options | address ...

      Ok, these days, I would be able to figure it out.

      On the other hand, I do remember back in the day, not having a clue what
      it meant and having to google for it.

      However, on OpenBSD, they have this amazing section. It's called.....

      EXAMPLES

      And I don't think that anyone's ever accused Theo of dumbing it down for
      the masses. :)

      > Putting these two together you get a command line like "ifconfig eth0
      > netmask 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1", which just so happens to work
      > perfectly with ifconfig 1.42 and does exactly what the OP wants,
      > namely, replaces the IPv4 address on the specified interface. :)
      > Obviously you could specify the address family explicitly but that
      > seems like overkill in this case, as the default is IPv4 - and
      > probably will remain so for the foreseeable future.

      Yes, I remember years ago, your post on playing with IPv6. Do you still
      play with it by the way? (I remember your example got a bunch of us
      trying it.)

      As I think of it, I remember winding up in the BSD docs to get it
      working. :)

      > >> man dhcpcd
      > >
      > > Only if his distribution has it. :) Or man dhclient with, for example,
      > > RH based distros--not sure about Debian ones.
      >
      > This is why it helps if people specify the distribution they use.
      > Which also just happens to be mentioned in the FAQ, right there at the
      > beginning of "what sort of information should I give" :)

      Ah yes--again, back in the days, when I proudly spent hours on that FAQ.
      Of course, back then, people actually read it.

      After a few years of primarily using various BSDs, when a job change
      brought me back to Linux, I used to email Godwin almost daily,
      complaining about horrible the man pages are in comparison.

      It's really like learning guitar on a child's toy, then buying a good
      one. Then, one day, you have to go back to that child's toy, with the
      strings 2 cms off the neck of the instrument.

      Spike: It's a big rock. Can't wait to tell my friends. They
      don't have a rock this
      big.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic