50065kernel question

  • jesserlynch
    May 23, 2005
      Hi

      I have a question about my kernel. My system was originally boring
      Linspire 4.5, but I upgraded it to a better Debian system using
      apt-get and synaptic. It took some effort, but over all the upgrade
      was easy and I am enjoying being able to use Gnome 2.10 and Kde 3.3.

      A few days ago I added ubuntu repositories to my sources.list
      (probably a stupid idea, I know) and attempted to upgrade acpid using
      synaptic. Synaptic installed the Ubuntu acpid (I was trying to get
      laptop power management support from Ubuntu since my apt-get upgrade
      of Linspire got rid of Linspire's click-n-run version Laptop power
      management package (suspend, etc)), but the ubuntu acpid package
      became broken since synaptic tried but failed to upgrade
      module-init-tools from the "lindows" version to the sarge testing
      version. So I removed acpid, and when I did synaptic also removed a
      few of the "Lindows" packages, including one called
      Lindows-kernel-image or something like that.

      Currently synaptic does not find any "kernel-image" debian package
      when I do a search for installed packages. Yet my computer is on and
      working perfectly and I don't have any broken packages any more. My
      attempts to install one of the kernel image packages listed in
      synaptic have been a failure.

      Sorry for rambling on. Finally, I come to my question. And I know it's
      probably silly.

      The boot directory does still contain vmlinuz-2.4.24 (which came from
      the original Linspire install) and init-2.4.24.gz

      It also contains init-2.4.24.gz.new, init-2.4.24.gz.old and
      safe_init-2.4.24.gz

      So do I have a kernel installed? And if I reboot my machine will I
      avoid a "kernel panic" message and have a successful reboot even
      though I can't find any installed debian package in synaptic named
      "kernel-image"?

      Here's how my lilo.conf looks

      # Generated by jiffyboot version 5.0.222. If this file is edited, the
      # system will stop modifying it. To allow the system to resume
      # management of this file, remove it and run /sbin/jiffyboot.

      boot=/dev/discs/disc0/disc
      install=/boot/cboot.b
      message = /boot/splash.lilo
      map=/boot/map
      fix-table
      lba32
      prompt
      delay=70
      timeout=70
      default = Linspire
      image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24
      label=Linspire
      root=/dev/hda3
      initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.24.gz
      append="mem=nopentium resume=/dev/hda2"
      image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24
      label=Redetect
      root=/dev/hda3
      initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.24.gz
      append="mem=nopentium noresume redetect resume=/dev/hda2"
      image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24
      label=Diagnostics
      root=/dev/hda3
      initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.24.gz
      append="mem=nopentium noresume resume=/dev/hda2 single"

      I'm a bit afraid to reboot my machine
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic