38871Re: [linux] slackware

  • percy
    Dec 2, 2002
      > I was thinking about installing slackware on my pc, but
      > the only thing that keeps me from doing this is that most
      > of its apps are in sources and not in slackware
      > packages.

      this is not entirely true - some of the slackware packages
      were in precompiled binaries and you can always use the
      installpkg/removepkg tool provided by slackware. these tools
      can automate installation of slackware packages. like so:

      # installpkg sylpheed-0.8.5.tgz --> installs the sylpheed binary package
      # removepkg sylpheed --> removes sylpheed binary package

      > And there's no easy way to remove an app after
      > '.configure;make;make install'.

      but there is! how about

      $ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/wherever
      $ make
      # make install

      to uninstall:

      # rm -rf /path/to/wherever