[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Partitions for RedHat on I7000

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 1999
      On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:55:57 -0000, you wrote:

      >I'm hoping to install RedHat 5.1 on my I7000, and I've got Partition Magic 3 available for partitioning. I want to keep Win 98 (shame on me :-) in 4Gb of my 8Gb hard disk, so what partitions should I create using PM, and which will the installation program create for me?

      is your disk patitioned at all ? If you have at least 2 partitions then you can
      use redhat parition manager you creat linux partitions on the second one (which
      should be empty - make use no windoze applications need to write to it).

      -- if not i'd use PM to split the 8GB into two. I'd go for 4 & 4.

      RH comes with a good partition manger for splitting out empty partitions.

      Ususally you'll need at least 2 - linux and swap. But its probably good practise
      to have more - say one for /home and perhaps one for /usr.

      Read the RH manual, or see HOTWOs on www.redhat.com for discussion of the best
      thing to do.

      BTW, I'd upgrade to RH 6.0 if you can as it has newer drivers etc. etc. and
      Gnome which is a very good environment manager with some usueful software.

      Neil
      Neil
      ICQ 11875525 - AOL IM "imheifetz"

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops