Insp4100, NVIDIA and Red Hat 7.2

  • e_broyles
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
      Inp 4100, nvidia ge2 32 mb, rh 7.2. P3 1Ghz

      Followed the instructions from NVIDIA:

      1) rpm -ivh the kernel (the i386)

      That seemed to go ok

      then pt 2

      rpm -ivh the GLX part

      Got something like the following in error:

      error: unpacking of archive failed on
      file /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.2313; 3c578a93: cpio: MD5 sum mismatch

      I did make sure that the versions were the same.

      any help would be hugely appreciated

      Thanks,

      Edward
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
        It looks like your download got corrupted....the MD5 sum of the RPM doesn't
        match up w/ what it's supposed to be.

        -steve

        --
        stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
      • Brian Blackstone
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2002
          I'm very new with this stuff, so maybe someone can explain what
          differences there are in the RPMs for the different kernel driver files
          for the NVidia card on their website. Would using the i386 vs. the i686
          matter?

          I used the RedHat 7.2 UP Kernel i686 ARchitecture RPM on my I4100 and
          didn't have any problems, though.

          On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 01:21, e_broyles wrote:
          > Inp 4100, nvidia ge2 32 mb, rh 7.2. P3 1Ghz
          >

          > Followed the instructions from NVIDIA:
          >
          > 1) rpm -ivh the kernel (the i386)
          >
          > That seemed to go ok
          >
          > then pt 2
          >
          > rpm -ivh the GLX part
          >
          > Got something like the following in error:
          >
          > error: unpacking of archive failed on
          > file /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.2313; 3c578a93: cpio: MD5 sum mismatch
          >
          > I did make sure that the versions were the same.
          >
          > any help would be hugely appreciated
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Edward

        • e_broyles
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
            Thanks, redownloaded the file and it seems to have installed fine.
            Now if I can just get the XF86Config file set up properly, I am good
            to go. I tried the ones on the group, but they gave me errors in the
            cursory attempts last night. If anyone has one that works on a
            Insp4100, NVIDIA GE2 32mb, at SXGA+, I would love to see it.

            IIRC, the errors that I got told me that it could not find a screen.

            I tried these files:

            I8100_1400x1050_16bit
            I8000_1400x1050_24bit

            Thanks again, y'all

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
            > It looks like your download got corrupted....the MD5 sum of the RPM
            doesn't
            > match up w/ what it's supposed to be.
            >
            > -steve
            >
            > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 06:21:34AM -0000, e_broyles wrote:
            > > Inp 4100, nvidia ge2 32 mb, rh 7.2. P3 1Ghz
            > >

            > > Followed the instructions from NVIDIA:
            > >
            > > 1) rpm -ivh the kernel (the i386)
            > >
            > > That seemed to go ok
            > >
            > > then pt 2
            > >
            > > rpm -ivh the GLX part
            > >
            > > Got something like the following in error:
            > >
            > > error: unpacking of archive failed on
            > > file /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.2313; 3c578a93: cpio: MD5 sum
            mismatch

            > > I did make sure that the versions were the same.
            > >
            > > any help would be hugely appreciated
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Edward
            > >

            > --
            > stephen lau :: [ldl@g...] :: www.grommit.com :: gpg key id:
            0x09E5CD21
          • pdiwexler
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
              Try this one. I haven't tested it, but it should work okay.
              There are a couple of other 1400x1050 modelines, but I believe
              you need the 60Hz version.

              If it doesn't work, try starting up with:

              startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5

              and post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. HTH.

              Dan

              Section "Files"
              RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
              FontPath "unix/:7100"
              EndSection

              Section "Module"
              # Load "GLcore"
              Load "dbe"
              Load "extmod"
              Load "fbdevhw"
              Load "pex5"
              # Load "dri"
              Load "glx"
              Load "pex5"
              Load "record"
              Load "xie"
              EndSection

              Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "Keyboard0"
              Driver "keyboard"
              Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
              Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
              Option "XkbLayout" "us"
              #Option "XkbVariant" ""
              #Option "XkbOptions" ""
              EndSection

              Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "Mouse0"
              Driver "mouse"
              Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
              Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
              Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
              Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
              EndSection

              Section "Monitor"
              Identifier "LCD"
              VendorName "Dell"
              ModelName "SXGA+"
              HorizSync 30-100
              VertRefresh 60
              Option "dpms"
              # 1400x1050 @ 60Hz, 65.8 kHz hsync
              Modeline "1400x1050" 129 1400 1464 1656 1960
              1050 1051 1054 1100 +HSync +VSync
              EndSection

              Section "Device"
              Identifier "NV AGP"
              VendorName "nvidia"
              Driver "nvidia"
              BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
              EndSection

              Section "Screen"
              Identifier "Screen0"
              Device "NV AGP"
              Monitor "LCD"
              DefaultColorDepth 24

              Subsection "Display"
              Depth 24
              Modes "1400x1050"
              EndSubsection
              EndSection
            • e_broyles
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
                No go. Here is my log file:

                XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-3) / X Window
                System
                Release Date: 2 June 2001
                If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
                newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
                reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
                Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.7-0.13.1smp i686 [ELF]
                Build Host: stripples.devel.redhat.com

                Module Loader present
                (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 2 10:52:47
                2002
                (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
                Parse error on line 1 of section Files in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
                "
                " is not a valid keyword in this section.
                (EE) Problem parsing the config file
                (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

                Fatal server error:
                no screens found

                When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
                the full server output, not just the last messages.
                This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
                Please report problems to xfree86@....

                Is this just as simple as updating X? I thought that the 4.1.0 was
                the current stable release, and that this card worked there?

                Thanks again,

                Edward

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pdiwexler" <wex@f...> wrote:
                > Try this one. I haven't tested it, but it should work okay.
                > There are a couple of other 1400x1050 modelines, but I believe
                > you need the 60Hz version.
                >
                > If it doesn't work, try starting up with:
                >
                > startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5
                >
                > and post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. HTH.
                >
                > Dan
              • e_broyles
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
                  Is there anyone out there who can point me in a direction? This is
                  my log file.

                  Thanks

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "e_broyles" <e_broyles@y...> wrote:
                  > No go. Here is my log file:
                  >
                  > XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-3) / X Window
                  > System
                  > (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510)
                  > Release Date: 2 June 2001
                  > If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
                  > newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
                  > reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
                  > Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.7-0.13.1smp i686 [ELF]
                  > Build Host: stripples.devel.redhat.com
                  >
                  > Module Loader present
                  > (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 2 10:52:47
                  > 2002
                  > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
                  > Parse error on line 1 of section Files in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
                  > "
                  > " is not a valid keyword in this section.
                  > (EE) Problem parsing the config file
                  > (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
                  >
                  > Fatal server error:
                  > no screens found
                  >
                  > When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
                  > the full server output, not just the last messages.
                  > This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
                  > Please report problems to xfree86@x...
                  >

                  > Is this just as simple as updating X? I thought that the 4.1.0 was
                  > the current stable release, and that this card worked there?
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Edward
                  >

                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "pdiwexler" <wex@f...> wrote:
                  > > Try this one. I haven't tested it, but it should work okay.
                  > > There are a couple of other 1400x1050 modelines, but I believe
                  > > you need the 60Hz version.
                  > >
                  > > If it doesn't work, try starting up with:
                  > >
                  > > startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5
                  > >
                  > > and post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file. HTH.
                  > >
                  > > Dan
                • Adam Lowry
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
                    On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 11:56, e_broyles wrote:
                    > Is there anyone out there who can point me in a direction? This is
                    > my log file.
                    >
                    > Thanks

                    Uh.. did you look at the config file? Your log has a pretty explicit
                    error:

                    > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "e_broyles" <e_broyles@y...> wrote:
                    > > No go. Here is my log file:
                    <snip>
                    > > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
                    > > Parse error on line 1 of section Files in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
                    > > "
                    > > " is not a valid keyword in this section.
                    > > (EE) Problem parsing the config file
                    > > (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

                    See? It's a parse error. Look at line one; maybe you had a cut and paste
                    error.

                    Adam
                  • e_broyles
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 7, 2002
                      Aha! It was due to the fact that I downloaded the Xconfig with
                      windows...dos2unix is your friend.

                      However, I still have issues, only now they appear to be more
                      directly rpm or nvidia related.

                      $ startx

                      crashes. can't load the NVidia driver. look for it. doesn't seem
                      to have been loaded. $ rpm -ivh driver2313 etc.rpm It tells me
                      that the driver has already been installed. Hrm. I try to
                      uninstall it. It tells me that the rpm is not installed. ok. try
                      to install again. same thing...already installed. repeat a few
                      times.
                    • Adam Lowry
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 7, 2002
                        On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 00:59, e_broyles wrote:
                        > However, I still have issues, only now they appear to be more
                        > directly rpm or nvidia related.
                        >
                        > $ startx
                        >
                        > crashes. can't load the NVidia driver. look for it. doesn't seem
                        > to have been loaded. $ rpm -ivh driver2313 etc.rpm It tells me
                        > that the driver has already been installed. Hrm. I try to
                        > uninstall it. It tells me that the rpm is not installed. ok. try
                        > to install again. same thing...already installed. repeat a few
                        > times.

                        Run /sbin/lsmod . Is "NVdriver" loaded? If not, (as root) run modprobe
                        NVdriver. If that's successful, try the startx again.

                        If this is the problem, edit /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules or
                        whatever it's called and add NVdriver. That'll load the module on boot.

                        Adam
                      • Dr. Robert W. Current
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 8, 2002
                          K, first download the Nvidia kernel and GLX modules as .src.rpm and then

                          cd /usr/src/RPM/SPECS/
                          rpm -ba *

                          Then when it writes the new drivers as .i686.rpm (or .i386.rpm) do this
                          in the directory you have the rpm's (if you build them yourself to be
                          sure they are against your current kernel, etc, they will be in
                          /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i686/ or i386 in the case of Red Hat).

                          rpm -Uvh *.rpm --replacefiles --replacepkgs

                          I've found that you need to freshen up the install of the driver after
                          installing a new kernel sometimes....

                          Rob C.