[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell Inspiron 3500 w/ port replicator

  • pcrossma@silverbacktech.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
      khal-@... wrote:
      =91

      > Paul,
      >
      > As far as I know, you need to change the XF86Config file to run with
      > laptops
      > that are using an external monitor, as the Xserver appears to use the
      > internal display if it is not commented out.

      I have done this after reading your message. Thanks much. This works
      great!!!

      > I have created a script to switch between 2 preset configuration files
      > on booting by detecting an interrupt that is only set up when I'm
      > docked (the eth0
      > interface for me). The docked version basically has the following
      > device section in XF86Config:

      I'd be very interested in a copy of your script. Would you mind either
      emailing it to me or posting it here? However, I don't think it will
      work for me, as I have a lan at home and a lan at the office. For me
      eth0 is always on, but my laptop is not necessarilly connected to a
      monitor/dock. Could I modify your script to have the system ask me on
      boot up where I am? I'm not even sure if interactivity is possible
      during system boot up.

      Any thoughts?

      Paul C.