ethernet problems

  • Stefan Geis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2000
      I am using a D-Link 660 ethernet card to connect my Inspiron 7500 to our
      university network. The Inspiron has Suse 6.3 and WIN98 installed, which
      I address via the lilo. From time to time (once or twice every two
      weeks) I had problems booting either of both OS:

      The boot process stops after initializing the card, which is indicated
      by green glowing led's on the media coupler. The lights do not flash on
      and off, which indicates, that no data transmission is possible.

      Previously I was able to reach the network after rebooting for two or
      three times. Now the problem has aggravated for no obvious reason,
      because rebooting does not help anymore.

      The german Dell support line said, that Dell does not support my card
      and therefore those guys do not feel responsible (Btw, I do not know why
      Dell's support line gets good critics - they were never able to help me
      with any problems, furthermore, some of their advices would have cost me
      lots of time if followed...).

      I am able to access the network (and to write this mail), because I
      inserted the card after booting. Then I started cardinfo and initialized
      the card. I started routing and all necessary network stuff directly
      from /sbin/init.d .

      So I do know, that the card works in principle but.....

      Anyone with any idea that might help is very appreciated...