Problem with floppy drive on 7500

  • mantares@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
      I am trying to install RH6.1 on my 7500. The install seems to go
      fine
      (excluding X windows which I'll worry about later)but the floppy
      drive
      will not mount and is not recognized. In fact, when it asks if I
      want
      to make the boot disk, I cannot eject the install floppy to do it!
      Anyone else have this problem, or suggestions? As you can tell, I
      start the install using a floppy rather than directly from the CDROM
      so obviously the floppy drive nominally works.

      I previously installed RH6.1 on my desktop Dell with no
      difficulty--in
      fact using the same set of disks...

      Thanks for any help.

      Michael Antares
    • Kirk Lowery
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2000
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, mantares@p... wrote:
        > I am trying to install RH6.1 on my 7500. The install seems to go
        > fine (excluding X windows which I'll worry about later)but the
        > floppy drive will not mount and is not recognized.

        Michael,

        Is your 7500 "floppy" a SuperDrive, that is, an LS-120? If so, then
        that's likely your problem. The default Linux kernels don't recognize
        the LS-120. There's a kernel patch around somewhere on this group.
        Check the archives or the ftp files.

        Bottom line is that your best approach is to install via a bootable
        CD, ignore the rescue disk part of the install, and then snarf the
        kernel patch (unless the just-released 2.2.17 kernel has the fix;
        does anybody know?), and rebuild your kernel with that.

        If you have an 3.5" floppy, then I'd say you've got hardware
        problems. If you have Windows installed (e.g., with a dual boot),
        then you might check out the floppy drive that way.

        HTH,

        Kirk Lowery