Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Linux on Dell Latitude CPi D266XT - How?

  • Eric L. Howard
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
      At a certain time, now past, meilam@... spake thusly:
      > I've got a Dell Latitude CPi D266XT, PII266, 192MB RAM, BIOS A09,
      > 2meg Neomagic card.
      >
      > I've tried to install RedHat 6.2 on it and make it dual-boot with
      > Win98.
      >
      > I failed with the part that the display cannot go to 1024x768 in
      > XWindow, and the mouse pointer changed to a half-inch big white
      > square with several vertical lines inside, (oh, it looks like a
      > barcode).
      >
      > I've tried to select other display options, but still failed. Even I
      > boot into the Win98, the mouse pointer is still a white square.
      >
      > Do anyone know the correct graphic/display options I should select?
      > Pls let me know what are the options I should pick in the
      > Xconfigurator.
      >
      > Also how should I config the TouchPad?
      >
      > Regards
      > meilam

      I've had my CPi D300XT dual-booting w/ NT4.0 for quite a while now. In order
      to keep from mucking w/ the NT boot loader and/or the MBR..I put lilo at the
      beginning of the primary Linux partition and then made that the active partition
      on boot-up.

      The touchpad should be configured as a PS/2 mouse. The XF86_SVGA server works
      w/ the Neomagic chip in these Dells. Attached is a working XF86Config file. I
      start X w/ 'startx -- -bpp 16' (minus the quotes)...from the command line.
      This will start X at 1024x768x16bpp. Double check the XF86Config file to make
      sure the path to your fonts are correct.

      -ELH-

      --
      * E r i c L. H o w a r d e h o w a r d @ a m e r i t e c h . n e t
      | "There is nothing in the world more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
      | conscientious stupidity, you have a moral responsibility to be intelligent."
      PGP KeyID:0x27586E9B Fingerprint:0BF7 F677 E4F3 E2F1 ACBF F786 754A 8F11