Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Flickering Vertical Line on Display of CPx 650J

  • Simon Trimmer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
      (glad you sorted out sound ;)

      On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 lupo@... wrote:
      > Everyone,
      >
      > I have noticed a rather annoying problem with the display on my
      > Latitude CPx 650J. On the right hand side of the screen about an inch
      > in from the side there is a vertical flickering black line. I am
      > running 1024x780 @ 32bpp. Anyone else have this problem? I am
      > running Red Hat 6.2.

      PINE 4.21 COMPOSE MESSAGE REPLY <Incoming-Folders>
      /home/simon/mail/linux-dell-laptops 240 Msgs

      From : Simon Trimmer <simon@...>
      To : linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, lupo@...
      Cc :
      Attchmnt:
      Subject : Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Flickering Vertical Line on Display of CPx 650J
      ----- Message Text -----

      (glad you sorted out sound ;)

      On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 lupo@... wrote:
      > Everyone,
      >
      > I have noticed a rather annoying problem with the display on my
      > Latitude CPx 650J. On the right hand side of the screen about an inch
      > in from the side there is a vertical flickering black line. I am
      > running 1024x780 @ 32bpp. Anyone else have this problem?

      yes it's a known thing, you can download a patched X server from;
      http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/x_method1.html
      which fixed things for me.

      In a preemptive strike, there's a number of good web pages for the inspiron
      notebooks and most of the problems apply to both machines. I bookmarked
      http://intern.linpro.no/~janl/inspiron-5000.html as being quite good.

      -Simon

      Simon Trimmer <simon@...> Mobile: 07974 545 374

      Linux is user friendly, it's just selective about who its friends are.
    • paradaxiom@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2000
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, lupo@a... wrote:
        > Everyone,
        >
        > I have noticed a rather annoying problem with the display on my
        > Latitude CPx 650J. On the right hand side of the screen about an
        > inch
        > in from the side there is a vertical flickering black line. I am
        > running 1024x780 @ 32bpp. Anyone else have this problem? I am
        > running Red Hat 6.2.

        Yes, you should lower the bpp to 16 to make it go away.
        It also happens on Windows2000 by the way.