Linux on Dell Latitude CPi D266XT - How?

  • meilam@hongkong.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
      I've got a Dell Latitude CPi D266XT, PII266, 192MB RAM, BIOS A09,
      2meg Neomagic card.

      I've tried to install RedHat 6.2 on it and make it dual-boot with
      Win98.

      I failed with the part that the display cannot go to 1024x768 in
      XWindow, and the mouse pointer changed to a half-inch big white
      square with several vertical lines inside, (oh, it looks like a
      barcode).

      I've tried to select other display options, but still failed. Even I
      boot into the Win98, the mouse pointer is still a white square.

      Do anyone know the correct graphic/display options I should select?
      Pls let me know what are the options I should pick in the
      Xconfigurator.

      Also how should I config the TouchPad?

      Regards
      meilam
    • Eric L. Howard
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2000
        At a certain time, now past, meilam@... spake thusly:
        > I've got a Dell Latitude CPi D266XT, PII266, 192MB RAM, BIOS A09,
        > 2meg Neomagic card.
        >
        > I've tried to install RedHat 6.2 on it and make it dual-boot with
        > Win98.
        >
        > I failed with the part that the display cannot go to 1024x768 in
        > XWindow, and the mouse pointer changed to a half-inch big white
        > square with several vertical lines inside, (oh, it looks like a
        > barcode).
        >
        > I've tried to select other display options, but still failed. Even I
        > boot into the Win98, the mouse pointer is still a white square.
        >
        > Do anyone know the correct graphic/display options I should select?
        > Pls let me know what are the options I should pick in the
        > Xconfigurator.
        >
        > Also how should I config the TouchPad?
        >
        > Regards
        > meilam

        I've had my CPi D300XT dual-booting w/ NT4.0 for quite a while now. In order
        to keep from mucking w/ the NT boot loader and/or the MBR..I put lilo at the
        beginning of the primary Linux partition and then made that the active partition
        on boot-up.

        The touchpad should be configured as a PS/2 mouse. The XF86_SVGA server works
        w/ the Neomagic chip in these Dells. Attached is a working XF86Config file. I
        start X w/ 'startx -- -bpp 16' (minus the quotes)...from the command line.
        This will start X at 1024x768x16bpp. Double check the XF86Config file to make
        sure the path to your fonts are correct.

        -ELH-

        --
        * E r i c L. H o w a r d e h o w a r d @ a m e r i t e c h . n e t
        | "There is nothing in the world more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
        | conscientious stupidity, you have a moral responsibility to be intelligent."
        PGP KeyID:0x27586E9B Fingerprint:0BF7 F677 E4F3 E2F1 ACBF F786 754A 8F11