Blank Screen after Choosing OS from LILO

  • jeffz_ebox@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2000
      I'm extremely new to Linux; therefore, I'm not quite sure how to
      resolve the problem I have created. My problem goes like this...

      I have a Dell Latitude CPi R400GT with a Neomagic video card.
      Anyways, I was unable to load the Xserver properly (it was stuck in a
      baaaaad resolution, something like 320x200).
      Anyhow, after doing a lot of research, I found out about XFree86.
      Ran
      that... got more confused and was still stuck in the same resolution.

      I then found a site where a person said to change a line in the LILO
      file. This line was the vga line. I changed it from:

      vga=normal to vga=791 <-----------------

      The site indicated that this was a key factor in getting the
      resolution to work. After I rebooted, I got my LILO prompt, only once
      linux began to load, the screen turned black. I have
      reinstalled the Linux OS (Mandrake 7.0) and the same problem occurs.
      I am not interested in formatting (I have some text files I created
      on
      the drive), so if anyone could help me, I'd
      appriciate it very much!

      I now have the correct settings (video) for my XF86Config file;
      however, I am unable to get into the command line (the screen is
      blank!!). Please help me! Thanks!!!

      Reply back to me via email: jeffz_ebox@...