Flickering Vertical Line on Display of CPx 650J

  • lupo@accessgate.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2000
      Everyone,

      I have noticed a rather annoying problem with the display on my
      Latitude CPx 650J. On the right hand side of the screen about an inch
      in from the side there is a vertical flickering black line. I am
      running 1024x780 @ 32bpp. Anyone else have this problem? I am
      running Red Hat 6.2.

      On another note, I have found a way to increase the hard drive
      preformance on my laptop by 400%. BE CAREFUL, THIS COULD DAMAGE
      DATA!! But, it worked great for me, with no problems.

      Type: /usr/sbin/hdparm -Tt /dev/hda (this will show your current
      speed)

      Than type: /usr/sbin/hdparm -c1 -A1 -m16 -u1 -d1 -X66 /dev/hda

      And rerun:/usr/sbin/hdparm -Tt /dev/hda and see the diference.

      Again everyone, BE CAREFUL WITH THIS!!!!!

      Thanks,

      Adam
    • Simon Trimmer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2000
        (glad you sorted out sound ;)

        On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 lupo@... wrote:
        > Everyone,
        >
        > I have noticed a rather annoying problem with the display on my
        > Latitude CPx 650J. On the right hand side of the screen about an inch
        > in from the side there is a vertical flickering black line. I am
        > running 1024x780 @ 32bpp. Anyone else have this problem? I am
        > running Red Hat 6.2.

        PINE 4.21 COMPOSE MESSAGE REPLY <Incoming-Folders>
        /home/simon/mail/linux-dell-laptops 240 Msgs

        From : Simon Trimmer <simon@...>
        To : linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, lupo@...
        Cc :
        Attchmnt:
        Subject : Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Flickering Vertical Line on Display of CPx 650J
        ----- Message Text -----

        (glad you sorted out sound ;)

        On Tue, 5 Sep 2000 lupo@... wrote:
        > Everyone,
        >
        > I have noticed a rather annoying problem with the display on my
        > Latitude CPx 650J. On the right hand side of the screen about an inch
        > in from the side there is a vertical flickering black line. I am
        > running 1024x780 @ 32bpp. Anyone else have this problem?

        yes it's a known thing, you can download a patched X server from;
        http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/x_method1.html
        which fixed things for me.

        In a preemptive strike, there's a number of good web pages for the inspiron
        notebooks and most of the problems apply to both machines. I bookmarked
        http://intern.linpro.no/~janl/inspiron-5000.html as being quite good.

        -Simon

        Simon Trimmer <simon@...> Mobile: 07974 545 374

        Linux is user friendly, it's just selective about who its friends are.
      • paradaxiom@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2000
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, lupo@a... wrote:
          > Everyone,
          >
          > I have noticed a rather annoying problem with the display on my
          > Latitude CPx 650J. On the right hand side of the screen about an
          > inch
          > in from the side there is a vertical flickering black line. I am
          > running 1024x780 @ 32bpp. Anyone else have this problem? I am
          > running Red Hat 6.2.

          Yes, you should lower the bpp to 16 to make it go away.
          It also happens on Windows2000 by the way.