Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 123

  • Nels Tomlinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2000
      I'm not sure if this is directly applicable, but here's how I get sound
      going on my inspiron 3200: When I boot, I go into the BIOS setup, and
      go to the screen which shows the sound device. I write down the
      addresses and interrupts which it shows there. I then boot and run
      setup from a root xterm. One of the options there is for setting up
      sound, and I map the info from the BIOS to the choices there. It's
      never quite a 1:1 mapping, so it sometimes takes the second or third
      guess. The setup program will then run a very brief soundclip, and if
      you don't hear it, it sends you back to try another guess. I think it's
      really easier than I made it sound....

      I'm hearing that the latest Mandrake can actually set up your sound for
      you, but haven't tried it yet.

      By the way, the first time I reinstalled windows on this laptop, I
      struggled for a whole day trying to get the sound drivers installed. It
      took a couple of hours on the phone with the Dell Tech-support people to
      get it done. It still takes about two hours to install windows, when
      it works at all, and less than one hour to get Linux up and running.
      Windows still has a long way to go to catch up to Linux for ease of
      installation.

      On a tangent, I tried installing Win95 from the CD provided with this
      machine, and it doesn't install now. It boots from the floppy with CD
      support, starts the installation, and then looses the CD, so it can't
      continue. I suppose I'll have to copy the CD to C: and continue from
      there if I really want windows.

      Anyway, good luck.
      Nels