Help with Linux installation on a laptop

  • gvitus@home.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2000

      I am new to Linux on laptops and especially if they have swapable
      devices. I have already Win 98 and unfortunately I need to keep it for
      some work related stuff. I have RH6.2 and I would like to install it
      on
      my Dell Inspiron 3500. I have basically trimmed the windows area and
      now
      I have 4.2 GB available on the disk. I wonder if anybody can help me
      with some answers to my questions:
      1) Do I partition the disk before I install RH6.2 or while I install
      RH6.2? What program to use? I would like to partition first and check
      if
      windows still works and after that start to install LInux. would it
      work?
      2) Which are the recommended partitions and in which order. The
      following is what I thought of. Would that be OK?
      - FAT
      - Linux native /boot 16 MB
      - Linux swap 100 MB
      - Linux /root 700 MB
      - Linux /user 1000 MB
      3) If I install from the CD-ROM (swapable device with floppy), how do
      create the boot disk? Do I use the boot disk that came with RH6.2?

      Thanks

      Gabriel