Regarding LILO Bootloader

  • annweiler2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2002
      Ok, I tried installing Mandrake 8.0 on my Dell Inspirion Laptop,
      but I could not get the external mouse to work properly nor could I
      manage to fix the resolution. So I decided to try Red Hat 7.2, and
      I haven't been able to get it to work at all (I believe this is
      because I made the Linux partition too small).
      My laptop came pre-installed with windows XP and what I would like
      to do is remove linux and start over again. But as it turns out I
      can not remove LILO from my master boot record, I guess this is
      because Microsoft apparently decided nobody needs DOS anymore, so I
      have been unable to use the command fdisk /mbr. Windows XP is
      working fine, I just want to remove LILO from my master boot record
      safely.
      Anyone have any ideas?

      thanks
      Dan
    • yukonmystery
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2002
        lilo -u (or lilo -U) should be able to do the trick if you can still
        boot intoLinux and haven't destroyed the back-up bootsector (boot.xxxx
        file) located in the /boot directory.

        Alternatively, you can either reformat the entire disk and start from
        scratch ( ;-) ) or get a copy of fdisk from a previous version of
        Windows.

        Cory

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "annweiler2001" <annweiler2001@y...>