LCD periodically going "off or blank or just black"

  • perakakis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2002
      I have installed RH 7.2 on a Dell Latitude CPiA 366 for some time
      and everything works fine. I only needed to apply a peculiar "hack"
      to XF86Config to prevent nm256 video driver locking the laptop.

      Lately 've this problem, which may not be linux specific :

      The LCD is going blank. This means it gets almost black, meaning that
      its brightness goes almost to zero. I can still view and read all LCD
      contents but only using special light conditions (using a flash
      light). I 've disabled power management and i don't get any errors
      (flash codes) during booting but the LCD may be black even from the
      boot time.

      The LCD is not damaged or something. It just goes off from time to
      time and i have to switch to an external monitor. This is a
      stochastic phenomenon i can't explain or solve.

      Does anyone has this problem too?