Re: Screen resolution! I need help!

  • Tim Roberts
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2002
      On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 06:16:35 -0000, "soundsmithy" <soundsmithy@...>
      >1. How can I get the desktop to resize when I change resolution? It
      >basocally just zooms in on the desktop.

      You can't. I posted a message about this yesterday. The X protocol does not
      allow for the root desktop to change size dynamically. The size is fixed at
      initialization time. Therefore, XFree86 has to create the desktop as large as
      you can possibly display, and provide a scrolling virtual desktop capability
      when you select a smaller video mode.

      For practical purposes, you need to pick the one resolution you will really use
      and stick with it, shifting down only when you need to zoom in on something.

      >2. Is there a way to get the default resolution to change for each
      >user. So if I wanted I could have a user called Games and use the
      >800x600 res for that and my normal 1600 for my daily stuff.

      There are several possible solutions to this. One way to have several
      different XF86Config files with different "Modes" lines, and create a symbolic
      link to the appropriate one using a shell script.

      Another way is to launch two (or more) copies of the X server, specifying
      different XF86Config files for each (which you can do on the XFree86 command
      line). Then, you could (for example) use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get to your 1600x1200
      desktop, Ctrl-Alt-F8 to see a 1024x768 desktop, and Ctrl-Alt-F9 to see an
      800x600 desktop.

      - Tim Roberts, timr@...
      Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.