[linux-dell-laptops] Trouble w/ printer

  • tjoconnor01@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 1999
      I am having trouble using my printer. I toggled the setting in my bios
      to remove PnP support for my parrell port. Printtool now detects my
      printer on lp0. When I attempt to print, it correctly spools the
      file... but does not print at all. I've triend using a text-only
      printer but it still does not work. I am using a HP Deskjet 720C / and
      RedHat 6.0 if anybody could help. Thank you.

      tjoconnor01@...
    • Leon Wood
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 1999
        >I am having trouble using my printer. I toggled the setting in my bios
        >to remove PnP support for my parrell port. Printtool now detects my
        >printer on lp0. When I attempt to print, it correctly spools the
        >file... but does not print at all. I've triend using a text-only
        >printer but it still does not work. I am using a HP Deskjet 720C / and
        >RedHat 6.0 if anybody could help. Thank you.

        Is data getting through to the printer? You can test this by copying a text
        file directly to the port. I believe the command is something like:
        cp foo.txt /dev/lp0

        If that works, have you installed and set up Ghostscript? I suspect that
        printer is not a postscript printer (my Deskjet 320 isn't). AFAIK all output
        from Linux programs is postscript and you need Ghostscript to rasterize the
        postscript if you're using a non-postscript printer.

        Leon Wood