Re: [linux-dell-laptops] X keeps blanking my screen even when on power.

  • James Hendrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2002
      X has two ways of making your screen go black. One is through DPMS, which,
      if it's enabled in the X server, will cause X to actually turn off the
      display through the power management features of the BIOS, after a period
      of inactivity according to the settings in your BIOS. So, if you turn off
      the option for suspending the display while on AC, X will not blank using
      the DPMS method even if DPMS is on in the X server.

      The reason I'm writing this is that, even if you turn off the suspend
      display on AC option, or alternately turn off DPMS in X (in which case your
      X display will not turn off on AC or battery, regardless of BIOS settings),
      X might still turn your screen black after an idle period. This will happen
      if xscreensaver is enabled with blanking preferred, which is the default
      configuration in Debian (not sure about others). Note that xscreensaver
      doesn't actually power down the display, just paints it black. To keep it
      from doing so, run the command: xset s off as the user who started X. This
      will disable xscreensaver entirely.

      So, if you turn off suspend display on AC in the BIOS, and disable
      xscreensaver, X will never blank the screen while you're on AC.

      James

      On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:49:50 Yazz D. Atlas wrote: > Is there away to keep
      my i8k with the Nividia video card to stop > blanking my screen and dimming
      it down when I'm on AC power. > > Is there some setting I should have in my
      XF86config-4 or maybe some > options to pass to apmd or apm-sleep? > >
      Thanks, > Yazz > > -- > Yazz D. Atlas <yazz@...> > Senior Systems
      Engineer / Senior BOFH > [ O | S | D | N ], Open Source Development Network
      > http://www.osdn.com/ 50 Nagog Park, Acton, MA 01720 > AIM: Entropy Works
      42 IRC: Aaton irc.slashnet.org ICQ: 11445680 > \/\/ gpg --keyserver
      wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-key 0x0C57DDA0 \/\/ > /\/\ GPG: 644C E9FF D0AF 3C5E
      5C73 5E05 00EF C7EC 0C57 DDA0 /\/\ >