CDRoms and Network Cards

  • cynon83
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002
      Well, Linux is almost working on my machine :)

      I have, aside from the modem, only to get the network card and the
      cdrom to work.

      The cdrom I don't understand. The info is in the fstab, and it is
      getting mounted, but for some reason no directory info is being
      read. I tried unmounting and remounting, using both the commands
      from a command line in su mode, and the little CDrom icon on the
      desktop. No joy. every time it tries to read the CDrom it shows
      nothing there. Using the desktop icon it actually comes up with a
      directory error - almost like the CD is in the wrong format. Not
      likely, since I tried several different types of cds.

      Any idea what might be causing this?

      Finally, I have a Lynksys network card (10/100 pcmcia, I think) and
      Linux freezes every time it encouters that thing. I click on an icon
      that looks for hardware and that's all she wrote. The same thing
      happened when I was installing Mandrake - I had to re do the install
      with out the card in. Anyone have any ideas on *that*?

      System info:
      i8k
      Mandrake 8.1
      Lynksys PC 10/100 etherfast PC card
      Sony CDr/rw CRX700e

      Thanks folks!
    • michael carr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002
        my linksys wireless card has the same problem in slackare8. Someone
        from this list kindly pointed out that it was probing some random
        memory address that was causing the lockups. its in the archives
        somewhere as to what line needs to be commented out of what file ;)

        as for the cdrom, check your rc.modules file for the cdrom filesystems
        modules... they look like "joliet" and "iso9660". try uncommenting
        those lines and rebooting (or rerunning rc.modules) and see if that
        helps.

        are you mounting it as /dev/hdc1 or /dev/hdc ? the first one is
        incorrect since its a block device, just FYI.

        mikey >;)

        --- cynon83 <cynon83@...> wrote:
        > Well, Linux is almost working on my machine :)
        >
        > I have, aside from the modem, only to get the network card and the
        > cdrom to work.
        >
        > The cdrom I don't understand. The info is in the fstab, and it is
        > getting mounted, but for some reason no directory info is being
        > read. I tried unmounting and remounting, using both the commands
        > from a command line in su mode, and the little CDrom icon on the
        > desktop. No joy. every time it tries to read the CDrom it shows
        > nothing there. Using the desktop icon it actually comes up with a
        > directory error - almost like the CD is in the wrong format. Not
        > likely, since I tried several different types of cds.
        >
        > Any idea what might be causing this?
        >

        > Finally, I have a Lynksys network card (10/100 pcmcia, I think) and
        > Linux freezes every time it encouters that thing. I click on an icon
        >
        > that looks for hardware and that's all she wrote. The same thing
        > happened when I was installing Mandrake - I had to re do the install
        > with out the card in. Anyone have any ideas on *that*?
        >
        > System info:
        > i8k
        > Mandrake 8.1
        > Lynksys PC 10/100 etherfast PC card
        > Sony CDr/rw CRX700e
        >
        > Thanks folks!

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • zdimcovic
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002
          I am having trouble with the combo drive, too (different kind of
          trouble); as for the network card, I have the same one (well ...
          with the modem: LANmodem). It worked in the Sony VAIO; on my new
          I4100 the ethernet worked right away, I did not do anything.
          I still can not get the modem to work, and I do *not* understand
          why -- it also worked on VAIO (know very litle about modems though).

          Could this be of any help: the driver for the ethernet is pcnet_cs,
          it is there; you should configure it as eth1, it sees the internal
          network card as eth0. I still don't see why it would be freezing
          ... any other information ?
          Btw -- I hear that the internal network card works under Linux,
          have you tried ? (Do you have it ? What machine do you have ?)

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "cynon83" <cynon83@y...> wrote:
          > Well, Linux is almost working on my machine :)
          >
          > I have, aside from the modem, only to get the network card and the
          > cdrom to work.
          >
          > The cdrom I don't understand. The info is in the fstab, and it is
          > getting mounted, but for some reason no directory info is being
          > read. I tried unmounting and remounting, using both the commands
          > from a command line in su mode, and the little CDrom icon on the
          > desktop. No joy. every time it tries to read the CDrom it shows
          > nothing there. Using the desktop icon it actually comes up with a
          > directory error - almost like the CD is in the wrong format. Not
          > likely, since I tried several different types of cds.
          >
          > Any idea what might be causing this?
          >

          > Finally, I have a Lynksys network card (10/100 pcmcia, I think)
          and
          > Linux freezes every time it encouters that thing. I click on an
          icon
          > that looks for hardware and that's all she wrote. The same thing
          > happened when I was installing Mandrake - I had to re do the
          install
          > with out the card in. Anyone have any ideas on *that*?
          >
          > System info:
          > i8k
          > Mandrake 8.1
          > Lynksys PC 10/100 etherfast PC card
          > Sony CDr/rw CRX700e
          >
          > Thanks folks!
        • phattaxman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., michael carr <pweiproduct@y...> wrote:
            > my linksys wireless card has the same problem in slackare8. Someone
            > from this list kindly pointed out that it was probing some random
            > memory address that was causing the lockups. its in the archives
            > somewhere as to what line needs to be commented out of what file ;)

            Your pcmcia network card may be causing an address conflict. I had a
            similar problem with my I8100 (running Mandrake 8.1). The only
            difference was the system would not even boot with card inserted. If
            I inserted the card into a running system, it would hang. Check the
            file /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and look for a line which
            begins "include port..." If port 0x800-0x8ff is included, this may
            be your problem. Comment the line out and add "include port 0x100-
            0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff". Good luck