Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [linux-dell-laptops] I8100, BIOS A08, and battery

Expand Messages
  • Sanyu
    ... I have the same problem (but I use KDE), after updating my BIOS to A08 the only way of checking my battery is through Fn+F3. I ve not had much time to
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      >
      > I've lost the ability to use the Gnome Battery Charge Monitor Applet,
      > and the only thing I've done recently is to update the BIOS to A08. The
      > applet knows whether it's on A/C or not, but it always shows that the
      > battery isn't connected. Anyone else having the same issue?
      >
      > Justin

      I have the same problem (but I use KDE), after updating my BIOS to A08
      the only way of checking my battery is through Fn+F3. I've not had much
      time to check what's going on....
      Sanyu
    • dmatt001
      I have the exact same problem: /proc/apm doesn t appear to have the correct information. ... Applet, ... A08. The ... the ... to A08 ... much
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2002
      • 0 Attachment
        I have the exact same problem: /proc/apm doesn't appear to have the
        correct information.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Sanyu <sanyu_md@t...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've lost the ability to use the Gnome Battery Charge Monitor
        Applet,
        > > and the only thing I've done recently is to update the BIOS to
        A08. The
        > > applet knows whether it's on A/C or not, but it always shows that
        the
        > > battery isn't connected. Anyone else having the same issue?
        > >
        > > Justin
        >
        > I have the same problem (but I use KDE), after updating my BIOS
        to A08
        > the only way of checking my battery is through Fn+F3. I've not had
        much
        > time to check what's going on....
        > Sanyu
      • Philip Trickett
        Same here, after updating to A08 /proc/apm does not show a correct format, and kapm-idled takes up to 46% cpu time. Phil Trickett (Who is very impressed with
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2002
        • 0 Attachment
          Same here, after updating to A08 /proc/apm does not show a correct
          format, and kapm-idled takes up to 46% cpu time.

          Phil Trickett

          (Who is very impressed with his new i8100!)

          On Sat, 2002-01-05 at 05:45, dmatt001 wrote:
          > I have the exact same problem: /proc/apm doesn't appear to have the
          > correct information.
          >
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Sanyu <sanyu_md@t...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I've lost the ability to use the Gnome Battery Charge Monitor
          > Applet,
          > > > and the only thing I've done recently is to update the BIOS to
          > A08. The
          > > > applet knows whether it's on A/C or not, but it always shows that
          > the
          > > > battery isn't connected. Anyone else having the same issue?
          > > >
          > > > Justin
          > >
          > > I have the same problem (but I use KDE), after updating my BIOS
          > to A08
          > > the only way of checking my battery is through Fn+F3. I've not had
          > much
          > > time to check what's going on....
          > > Sanyu
          >
          >
          >
          > --------------------------------------------------------------
          > Please post your X config files in the group links or database
          > FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >
        • chintaylors
          It appears that the latest BIOS for I8100s, A08, is not APM compliant. Probably because Dell mostly cares about supporting ACPI which is what windows uses.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 16, 2002
          • 0 Attachment
            It appears that the latest BIOS for I8100s, A08, is not APM
            compliant. Probably because Dell mostly cares about supporting
            ACPI which is what windows uses. Anyway the previous BIOS
            A07 is APM compliant and seems to work pretty well, fixing (I hope)
            some occasional problems from A04 which shipped with my notebook.
            Anyway, if you have gone to A08 and you want to retreat to A07
            then go to support.dell.com and look for BIOS upgrades to your
            machine, previous releases. Download i81_a07.exe, and use it
            under windows to make a flash upgrade floppy. Reboot with the
            floppy in. It will bood MSDOS off it and say that the BIOS
            has been upgraded. But it hasn't. It saw that you already had
            A08 and decided to do nothing. So at the msdos prompt type
            I8100A07.EXE. Then just answer questions and watch the update
            proceed. For safety you have to be on ac-power to flash the
            BIOS. Good luck.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "dmatt001" <dmatt001@y...> wrote:
            > I have the exact same problem: /proc/apm doesn't appear to have the
            > correct information.
            >
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Sanyu <sanyu_md@t...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I've lost the ability to use the Gnome Battery Charge Monitor
            > Applet,
            > > > and the only thing I've done recently is to update the BIOS to
            > A08. The
            > > > applet knows whether it's on A/C or not, but it always shows
            that
            > the
            > > > battery isn't connected. Anyone else having the same issue?
            > > >
            > > > Justin
            > >
            > > I have the same problem (but I use KDE), after updating my BIOS
            > to A08
            > > the only way of checking my battery is through Fn+F3. I've not had
            > much
            > > time to check what's going on....
            > > Sanyu
          • Gregory Gulik
            Ok, I m still not able to get S2D working with this darn i8100.... The laptop has 512MB of RAM, has the 16MB NVIDIA card and a 30G disk with approx 20G for
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 16, 2002
            • 0 Attachment
              Ok, I'm still not able to get S2D working with this darn i8100....
              The laptop has 512MB of RAM, has the 16MB NVIDIA card and a 30G disk with
              approx 20G for Linux and a 10G partition for WinXP. I'm running Red Hat 7.2
              with the 2.4.9-13 kernel. I have the i8k utilities installed and working
              perfectly. I have a suspend to disk partition set up as follows according
              to fdisk:

              Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
              /dev/hda1 * 1 68 546178+ 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive

              Is that partition set up properly?

              Per the below message I tried to downgrade the BIOS to A07 which seemed to
              work perfectly:

              # cat /proc/i8k
              1.0 A07 HXXXXXX 56 0 0 0 0 -1 0
              # apm -v
              APM BIOS 1.2 (kernel driver 1.14)
              AC on-line, battery chargin: 100% (5:45) (Ahem, I doubt that highly)

              I also have GRUB set up as follows to boot from the S2D partition:

              .
              .
              title Dell S2D
              rootnoverify (hd0,0)
              .
              .

              Since I haven't been able to get the system to suspend in the first place I
              don't know if this is even correct.

              When I try to initiate a suspend with the command line I get:

              # apm -s
              apm: Resource temporarily unavailable


              What am I missing still???
              Does everything I've done above look correct?



              chintaylors wrote:

              > It appears that the latest BIOS for I8100s, A08, is not APM
              > compliant. Probably because Dell mostly cares about supporting
              > ACPI which is what windows uses. Anyway the previous BIOS
              > A07 is APM compliant and seems to work pretty well, fixing (I hope)
              > some occasional problems from A04 which shipped with my notebook.
              > Anyway, if you have gone to A08 and you want to retreat to A07
              > then go to support.dell.com and look for BIOS upgrades to your
              > machine, previous releases. Download i81_a07.exe, and use it
              > under windows to make a flash upgrade floppy. Reboot with the
              > floppy in. It will bood MSDOS off it and say that the BIOS
              > has been upgraded. But it hasn't. It saw that you already had
              > A08 and decided to do nothing. So at the msdos prompt type
              > I8100A07.EXE. Then just answer questions and watch the update
              > proceed. For safety you have to be on ac-power to flash the
              > BIOS. Good luck.


              --
              Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
              greg@... http://www.drivingevents.com/
            • Justin Ellison
              I have a Dell 8100, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD, GeForce2Go 32MB. [root@localhost root]# fdisk /dev/hda The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2432. There is
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 16, 2002
              • 0 Attachment
                I have a Dell 8100, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD, GeForce2Go 32MB.

                [root@localhost root]# fdisk /dev/hda

                The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2432.
                There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
                and could in certain setups cause problems with:
                1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
                2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
                (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

                Command (m for help): p

                Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2432 cylinders
                Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

                Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                /dev/hda1 1 68 546178+ 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive
                /dev/hda2 69 514 3582495 b Win95 FAT32
                /dev/hda3 * 515 518 32130 83 Linux
                /dev/hda4 519 2432 15374205 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
                /dev/hda5 519 1155 5116671 83 Linux
                /dev/hda6 1156 1220 522081 82 Linux swap
                /dev/hda7 1221 2432 9735358+ 83 Linux


                You should be good to go there. I'm guessing that you have your
                NVdriver module loaded. Try getting out of X, and doing an

                rmmod NVdriver

                Then do a

                Fn+a

                HTH,

                Justin

                On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 14:59, Gregory Gulik wrote:
                >
                > Ok, I'm still not able to get S2D working with this darn i8100....
                > The laptop has 512MB of RAM, has the 16MB NVIDIA card and a 30G disk with
                > approx 20G for Linux and a 10G partition for WinXP. I'm running Red Hat 7.2
                > with the 2.4.9-13 kernel. I have the i8k utilities installed and working
                > perfectly. I have a suspend to disk partition set up as follows according
                > to fdisk:
                >
                > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                > /dev/hda1 * 1 68 546178+ 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive
                >
                > Is that partition set up properly?
                >
                > Per the below message I tried to downgrade the BIOS to A07 which seemed to
                > work perfectly:
                >
                > # cat /proc/i8k
                > 1.0 A07 HXXXXXX 56 0 0 0 0 -1 0
                > # apm -v
                > APM BIOS 1.2 (kernel driver 1.14)
                > AC on-line, battery chargin: 100% (5:45) (Ahem, I doubt that highly)
                >
                > I also have GRUB set up as follows to boot from the S2D partition:
                >
                > .
                > .
                > title Dell S2D
                > rootnoverify (hd0,0)
                > .
                > .
                >
                > Since I haven't been able to get the system to suspend in the first place I
                > don't know if this is even correct.
                >
                > When I try to initiate a suspend with the command line I get:
                >
                > # apm -s
                > apm: Resource temporarily unavailable
                >
                >
                > What am I missing still???
                > Does everything I've done above look correct?
                >
                >
                >
                > chintaylors wrote:
                >
                > > It appears that the latest BIOS for I8100s, A08, is not APM
                > > compliant. Probably because Dell mostly cares about supporting
                > > ACPI which is what windows uses. Anyway the previous BIOS
                > > A07 is APM compliant and seems to work pretty well, fixing (I hope)
                > > some occasional problems from A04 which shipped with my notebook.
                > > Anyway, if you have gone to A08 and you want to retreat to A07
                > > then go to support.dell.com and look for BIOS upgrades to your
                > > machine, previous releases. Download i81_a07.exe, and use it
                > > under windows to make a flash upgrade floppy. Reboot with the
                > > floppy in. It will bood MSDOS off it and say that the BIOS
                > > has been upgraded. But it hasn't. It saw that you already had
                > > A08 and decided to do nothing. So at the msdos prompt type
                > > I8100A07.EXE. Then just answer questions and watch the update
                > > proceed. For safety you have to be on ac-power to flash the
                > > BIOS. Good luck.
                >
                >
                > --
                > Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
                > greg@... http://www.drivingevents.com/
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > --------------------------------------------------------------
                > Please post your X config files in the group links or database
                > FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq
                >
                > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                >
                >
              • Gregory Gulik
                That s strange, that worked as long as I exited out of X and unload the NVidia driver. I did get an error about a session already being saved but then shut
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 16, 2002
                • 0 Attachment
                  That's strange, that worked as long as I exited out of X and unload the
                  NVidia driver. I did get an error about a session already being saved but
                  then shut down anyway.

                  When I powered back up I ended up back at the command line I was.

                  Now, if there was only a way to do that without exiting out of X, that would
                  be VERY nice.



                  Justin Ellison wrote:

                  > I have a Dell 8100, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD, GeForce2Go 32MB.
                  >
                  > [root@localhost root]# fdisk /dev/hda
                  >
                  > The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2432.
                  > There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
                  > and could in certain setups cause problems with:
                  > 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
                  > 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
                  > (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
                  >
                  > Command (m for help): p
                  >
                  > Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2432 cylinders
                  > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
                  >
                  > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                  > /dev/hda1 1 68 546178+ 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive
                  > /dev/hda2 69 514 3582495 b Win95 FAT32
                  > /dev/hda3 * 515 518 32130 83 Linux
                  > /dev/hda4 519 2432 15374205 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
                  > /dev/hda5 519 1155 5116671 83 Linux
                  > /dev/hda6 1156 1220 522081 82 Linux swap
                  > /dev/hda7 1221 2432 9735358+ 83 Linux
                  >
                  >
                  > You should be good to go there. I'm guessing that you have your
                  > NVdriver module loaded. Try getting out of X, and doing an
                  >
                  > rmmod NVdriver
                  >
                  > Then do a
                  >
                  > Fn+a


                  --
                  Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
                  greg@... http://www.drivingevents.com/
                • James Hendrick
                  Gregory, It is possible to suspend the laptop without exiting X and unloading NVdriver. Basically you have to change nv.c so that it returns a 0 on a suspend
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 16, 2002
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Gregory,

                    It is possible to suspend the laptop without exiting X and unloading
                    NVdriver. Basically you have to change nv.c so that it returns a 0 on a
                    suspend call instead of a 1 (you can find the relevant section by searching
                    for "suspend" in the code). Then recompile. For this to work stably, you
                    have to turn off AGP in the X server--put
                    Option "NvAGP" "0"
                    in the device section of your X config.

                    For more details on this, search the archives for this list for "rudi".

                    James


                    On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:49:40 Gregory Gulik wrote:
                    > <html><body>
                    >
                    >
                    > <tt>
                    > <BR>
                    > That's strange, that worked as long as I exited out of X and unload the
                    > <BR>
                    > NVidia driver.  I did get an error about a session already being
                    > saved but <BR>
                    > then shut down anyway.<BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > When I powered back up I ended up back at the command line I was.<BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > Now, if there was only a way to do that without exiting out of X, that
                    > would <BR>
                    > be VERY nice.<BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > Justin Ellison wrote:<BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > > I have a Dell 8100, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD, GeForce2Go 32MB.<BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > [root@localhost root]# fdisk /dev/hda<BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2432.<BR>
                    > > There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,<BR>
                    > > and could in certain setups cause problems with:<BR>
                    > > 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)<BR>
                    > > 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs<BR>
                    > >    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)<BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > Command (m for help): p<BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2432 cylinders<BR>
                    > > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes<BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > >    Device Boot   
                    > Start       End   
                    > Blocks   Id  System<BR>
                    > > /dev/hda1            
                    > 1        68   
                    > 546178+  84  OS/2 hidden C: drive<BR>
                    > > /dev/hda2           
                    > 69       514  
                    > 3582495    b  Win95 FAT32<BR>
                    > > /dev/hda3   *      
                    > 515       518    
                    > 32130   83  Linux<BR>
                    > > /dev/hda4          
                    > 519      2432  15374205   
                    > f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)<BR>
                    > > /dev/hda5          
                    > 519      1155   5116671  
                    > 83  Linux<BR>
                    > > /dev/hda6         
                    > 1156      1220   
                    > 522081   82  Linux swap<BR>
                    > > /dev/hda7         
                    > 1221      2432   9735358+ 
                    > 83  Linux<BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > You should be good to go there.  I'm guessing that you have
                    > your<BR>
                    > > NVdriver module loaded.  Try getting out of X, and doing an<BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > rmmod NVdriver <BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > Then do a <BR>
                    > > <BR>
                    > > Fn+a<BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > -- <BR>
                    > Greg Gulik                                
                    > <a href="http://www.gulik.org/greg/">http://www.gulik.org/greg/</a><BR>
                    > greg@...                            
                    > <a href="http://www.drivingevents.com/">http://www.drivingevents.com/</a><BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > <BR>
                    > </tt>
                    >
                    > <br>
                    >
                    > <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->
                    >
                    > <table border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2>
                    > <tr bgcolor=#FFFFCC>
                    > <td align=center><font size="-1" color=#003399><b>Yahoo! Groups
                    > Sponsor</b></font></td>
                    > </tr>
                    > <tr bgcolor=#FFFFFF>
                    > <td align=center width=470><table border=0 cellpadding=0
                    > cellspacing=0><tr><td align=center><font face=arial
                    > size=-2>ADVERTISEMENT</font><br><a href="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.1791435.3314591.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1708211820:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085"
                    > target=_top><img src="http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/cl/classmates_com2/bll_lrec1.gif"
                    > alt="" width="300" height="250" border="0"></a></td></tr></table></td>
                    > </tr>
                    > <tr><td><img alt="" width=1 height=1
                    > src="http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.1791435.3314591.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1708211820:HM/A=763352/rand=884703112"></td></tr>
                    > </table>
                    >
                    > <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->
                    >
                    >
                    > <br>
                    > <tt>
                    > <BR>
                    > --------------------------------------------------------------<BR>
                    > Please post your X config files in the group links or database<BR>
                    > FAQ: <a href="http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq">http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq</a></tt>
                    > <br>
                    >
                    > <br>
                    > <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
                    > href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of
                    > Service</a>.</tt>
                    > </br>
                    >
                    > </body></html>
                    >
                    >
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.