Re: [linux-dell-laptops] another i8100ism (HDD Drive clicking and knocking)

  • Tim Roberts
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 22:21:55 -0000, "dareljuk" <darelcullen@...> wrote:

      >Apart from other problems i have with the I8100 hardware I found that
      >there is a major problem with the 20gb Hitachi harddrive that the
      >I8100 uses. in firmware versions A01 A02 and A03 there is a clicking
      >noise and sometimes head knocking against the safety stop noises
      >coming from the HD, even when there should be no disk activity.
      >
      >It does this both in windows and in linux. Anyone have any ideas
      >experience on the best way to stop this, I dont want to lose any work
      >due to a disk crash, which is something i get the feeling will happen
      >if this problem isnt identified correctly.

      For what it's worth, I've had four different IBM Travelstar disks in my
      Inspiron 7000 (three 5GB and a 10GB). All four have exhibited exactly the same
      noises you describe in this message, in Win98, Linux and Win2000. One of the
      5GB's did go bad, but the noises at that time were quite different (click
      thunk, click thunk, click thunk...).

      I suspect this is just the normal operation of these 12mm disks.

      You ARE backing up your data, right? Your CD burner is your friend...

      --
      - Tim Roberts, timr@...
      Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.