Re: suspend to disk/ram while swap is being used

  • Rich Pinkall Pollei
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      > any ideas about what would happen if all memory + some swap is being
      > used at the machine and i do a suspend, in which case stuff inside
      > swap will not be stored to anywhere?

      Actually, swap is, by definition, already on the disk. The swapfile
      maintenance structures in the kernel are saved when you suspend, so
      corruption should not be an issue. I haven't checked the kernel
      suspend code in a while, but I believe it writes buffers (disk sync)
      prior to suspend, so dirty segments should not be a problem either.
      I've never seen file corruption due to a suspend that wasn't due to
      some problem other than the suspend sequence.

      Rich Pinkall Pollei
      ---
      I'm screwing up. Why? What does it *look* like I'm doing?