UXGA - what is it really like?

  • Walter Logeman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      I have ordered an i8100 (see specs below). Apparently my credit
      card bounced (oops) gives me opportunity to reconsider.

      I have just got the heebie-geebies about the 15" UXGA - will it
      all be too small? I am doing it, like most of us based on the
      info here and on the net.

      On the plus: plenty of real estate - great with photos -
      exceptional clarity.

      My fears: that it will be too spidery and i'll hate it, or have
      to run in a smaller window to get the clarity at a lower res.
      That even using larger fonts and so on won't help that much.
      That the full screen mode at lower res looses a lot of clarity.
      The worst fear of all that i will hate it and wont be able to
      return or sell it.

      If I went for the 15" SXGA+ could i still get the RADEON 7500
      card?

      I'd love to hear more from people who actually use one or have
      seen one. Tell me again that it is awesome :)

      Ohoh, my credit was just confirmed... I am now in the loop!

      Walter

      ~~~

      Abbreviated from the order fax 31 Dec 2001

      C510104 -Dell Inspiron 8100 G1000VT Notebook (Home)
      WMTX111-IA -1 YEAR NEXT BUSINESS DAY (8X5) ONSITE RESPONSE
      WMPH811-IA(NZ)-1 YEAR PLUS PHONE SUPPORT
      4G943 -INSPIRON 8100 MOBILE INTEL(R) PENTIUM(R) III
      PROCESSOR 1.00GHz-M,UXGA(15U",TFT)
      BCH-021 -ON-DIE 512KB L2 CACHE
      1E827 -LCD DISPLAY,UXGA,15U" TFT,VAS,I8100
      6E816 -MEMORY,256MB,(1x256), PC 133MHz, SDRAM
      9J066 -64MB DDR 4X AGP ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500 3D VIDEO
      6E388 -HARD DRIVE,30GB, ATA-100
      BDV-112 -(FOR WIN XP)INTERNAL CD-RW DRIVE
      MODULE,16X/10X/24X & DVD-ROM DRIVE,8X COMBO,KIT
      05GCV -CD-ROM DRIVE,24X VARIABLE EIDE
      3D086 -INTERNAL 56K MODEM AND 10/100 FAST
      ETHERNET MINI-PCI COMBO,ANZ
    • Charles Galpin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
        On Tue, 2002-01-01 at 22:07, Walter Logeman wrote:
        > I'd love to hear more from people who actually use one or have
        > seen one. Tell me again that it is awesome :)
        >
        > Ohoh, my credit was just confirmed... I am now in the loop!
        >
        > Walter

        Walter, I am very happy with the UXGA. I find the text crisp and clear
        enough to read - even though small. The real estate is unbeatable, and
        if you do find the text size to small, you can change the font type and
        size in most apps to suite your eyeballs.

        Anyway, I think it's great.

        charles
      • Gregory Gulik
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
          I was originally concerned that the UXGA display would be too small so I
          ordered an 8100 with the XGA+ display. When I got that I was amazed how
          crisp and clean the display was so within a few days I decided to send that
          one back and upgrade to the UXGA display. I've had it about 2 weeks now and
          I don't regret that decision. The display is quite readable even with my
          smallish fonts. As a matter of fact it's more readable than the 19" Hitachi
          monitor on my desktop Linux box running at the same 1600x1200 resolution.

          Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
          greg@... http://www.drivingevents.com/